Hiromasa Setamatsu

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
blackcat

Hiromasa Setamatsu

Post by blackcat »

Mentioned in previous forums discussions about Setamatsu, but I dusted off the films the other day to remind myself of one or two of the techniques he shows.

He has some interesting ideas . An example is KG3 after he punches he performs an elbow strike to the opponents thigh. Of course the movement is more subtle in its performance than in my description. I've been told that the old way of doing things was to use the elbow in the initial counter to the kick. Perhaps Setamatsu learned or developed an alternative approach.

http://mob.macbay.de/setamatsu-karatedo ... Clips.html

Certainly worth a look if you haven't seen these. The films are about 2 hours altogether...in Japanese though.

Ben
shep

Re: Hiromasa Setamatsu

Post by shep »

Thanks for the link Ben. I haven't seen those for a while and had forgotten about them

Shep
acer

Post by acer »

I saw the parts with the opponents...
Well nobody will attack you with ''jun tsuki'' I just hate those kind of unpractical bunkai, ''karate attacks'' vs ''karate defenses'' as the explanation of what kata moves are for...
For me it’s more honest to just say : ''I don’t have a clue what those moves meaning...'' than to saw that...that... well anyway....!!!!
kata were made (one of the many reasons) to saw defenses against ordinary street attacks not against this comedy!!!
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

acer wrote:I saw the parts with the opponents...
Well nobody will attack you with ''jun tsuki'' I just hate those kind of unpractical bunkai, ''karate attacks'' vs ''karate defenses'' as the explanation of what kata moves are for...
For me it’s more honest to just say : ''I don’t have a clue what those moves meaning...'' than to saw that...that... well anyway....!!!!
kata were made (one of the many reasons) to saw defenses against ordinary street attacks not against this comedy!!!
The initial post was a comment about kihon gumite. My apologies if that was confused by the link I added to show where to obtain the films.

Perhaps in Wado the relationship between kata and kihon gumite is such that the Okinawan approach of interpreting kata through bunkai - which is the right way for those systems - is a distraction to the objectives we are seeking to attain? That might not be so obvious to anyone looking in from outside the system.

Ben
go rin no sho

Post by go rin no sho »

Very powerful and crisp naihanci! btw, How old is Setamatsu sensei ?

I wish I would have his abilities in the same age....
J.Petrelius
www.joenmawashi.fi
shep

Post by shep »

Hi acer

It kind of begs the question what your views are of ippon/sanbon kumite, kihon kumite, tanto dori etc?

shep
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

shep wrote:
Hi acer

It kind of begs the question what your views are of ippon/sanbon kumite, kihon kumite, tanto dori etc?

shep

must......keep.......awaaay......from.......keyboard....

Get thee behind me Seishan!
shep

Post by shep »

Tim49 wrote:
shep wrote:
Hi acer

shep

must......keep.......awaaay......from.......keyboard....

Get thee behind me Seishan!
I tried, oh how I tried

shep
shep

Post by shep »

go rin no sho wrote:Very powerful and crisp naihanci! btw, How old is Setamatsu sensei ?

I wish I would have his abilities in the same age....
He's 86 and I would be more than happy to be performing kata like that as well

shep
oneya

Post by oneya »

I have this dreadful Déjà vu feeling, D'ye think it may be the wine.!

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com