2011 Tachi Dori Demo Jon Wicks

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
shep

Re: 2011 Tachi Dori Demo Jon Wicks

Post by shep »

I was a young lad in the audience at Crystal Palace in the mid 70's (I cant remember the exact year) when Jiro Otsuka accidently cut his father with his sword during the demo at a Wado Championships. He had to be taken to hospital with lacerations to his hand. These demo's can go wrong.

shep
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

shep wrote:I was a young lad in the audience at Crystal Palace in the mid 70's (I cant remember the exact year) when Jiro Otsuka accidently cut his father with his sword during the demo at a Wado Championships. He had to be taken to hospital with lacerations to his hand. These demo's can go wrong.

shep
Jiro did not accidentally cut him.
Otsuka Sensei failed in his technique that day. That is why this whole thing is deadly serious I think.
Bob Nash
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

shep wrote:I was a young lad in the audience at Crystal Palace in the mid 70's (I cant remember the exact year) when Jiro Otsuka accidently cut his father with his sword during the demo at a Wado Championships. He had to be taken to hospital with lacerations to his hand. These demo's can go wrong.

shep
You and me both Shep. It might have been 1975, does that sound about right? I think that day all competitors were given a cloth badge (patch) with the year on it, I have mine upstairs somewhere. Was that also the year of the bomb scare, or am I mixing years up?

Tim
shep

Post by shep »

Tim49 wrote:

shep
You and me both Shep. It might have been 1975, does that sound about right? I think that day all competitors were given a cloth badge (patch) with the year on it, I have mine upstairs somewhere. Was that also the year of the bomb scare, or am I mixing years up?

Tim
I remember the bomb scare, It might well have been the same year but cant say for certain

shep
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

It was the bomb scare year..KOA carried a report. Apparently the audience refused to leave when the second bomb scare was announced.

The magazine quotes the organisor Major John Green saying the competitions were a success "They went like a bomb.." he said.

Tim - didn't Otsuka make it into the pages of the Sun newspaper as a result of his cut hand?

Ben
mspain

Post by mspain »

In a story related to me by someone that was watching this, Otsuka definitely did these demonstrations for real. This is from the late 1960's or early 1970's, I believe. The person did not relate who was wielding the sword, but at an exhibition in Hawaii, Otsuka had his dogi and hakama cut a few times during the demonstration. That, I think, is close. The person also related that Otsuka's responses were real.

MSPain
Mike Spain
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

blackcat wrote:Tim - didn't Otsuka make it into the pages of the Sun newspaper as a result of his cut hand?

Ben
You are correct Ben.

Tim
shep

Post by shep »

blackcat wrote: Tim - didn't Otsuka make it into the pages of the Sun newspaper as a result of his cut hand?

Ben
Yes he did Ben

shep
shep

Post by shep »

mspain wrote:In a story related to me by someone that was watching this, Otsuka definitely did these demonstrations for real. This is from the late 1960's or early 1970's, I believe. The person did not relate who was wielding the sword, but at an exhibition in Hawaii, Otsuka had his dogi and hakama cut a few times during the demonstration. That, I think, is close. The person also related that Otsuka's responses were real.

MSPain
Also in Suzuki Karate do book. he mentions cutting his hands cut on numerous occassions whilst performing Tanto Dori demo's - so no dummy blades used with either

shep
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

shep wrote:
mspain wrote:In a story related to me by someone that was watching this, Otsuka definitely did these demonstrations for real. This is from the late 1960's or early 1970's, I believe. The person did not relate who was wielding the sword, but at an exhibition in Hawaii, Otsuka had his dogi and hakama cut a few times during the demonstration. That, I think, is close. The person also related that Otsuka's responses were real.

MSPain
Also in Suzuki Karate do book. he mentions cutting his hands cut on numerous occassions whilst performing Tanto Dori demo's - so no dummy blades used with either

shep
My sensei always did tanto dori with sharp blades too. He mentioned he was lucky that someone attacked with tsuki having the blade down instead of up, which saved him from being cut as he touched the blade from the top.. He did almost loose a finger during another demonstration.

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com