First Wado class!

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
oneya

Re: First Wado class!

Post by oneya »

Hi Manjin,

As I said it was probably 'unthinking' on your part but the comment inferred that spasticity in a person is cause for ridicule or derision which I feel would be very offensive to anyone - or the parents of anyone - struggling daily with the condition.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
majin29

Post by majin29 »

wadoka wrote:You need to do some searches on the word.

Paralympics are just around the corner and the majority of athletes will have more guts, determination and ability than many of us will ever have...
Oh then I must profusely apologize! I honestly wasn't aware that this term was used in a derogatory manner to describe people who are differently abled. My sincerest apologies once again!

And I agree with your point about determination. A good friend of mine was paralyzed on his left side due to an aneurism because of aplastic anemia, a condition that eventually killed him at the age of 40. To think that I'd made some offhand comment that disrespects his memory is upsetting. He worked very hard to overcome his paralysis and was a very successful business man after he graduated from college.
David Coscina
oneya

Post by oneya »

Well accepted and enlightened response Manjin, there are many here who think wado ryu is more than just kicking and punching.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
majin29

Post by majin29 »

oneya wrote:Well accepted and enlightened response Manjin, there are many here who think wado ryu is more than just kicking and punching.

oneya
Oh most definitely. The principles that we recite at the conclusion of class are guiding ideologies in life. All my readings, whether by Funakoshi or Suzuki sensei, or Dave Lowry confirm that karate is a way of life, not just a hobby or sport or physical conditioning. It's a mindset and moral compass.
David Coscina