Enrolling in Wado Ru coming from Goju Ryu

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
majin29

Enrolling in Wado Ru coming from Goju Ryu

Post by majin29 »

So what can I expect as differences between styles? I have Ohtsuko's book and have done a bit of research but I'm actually a little surprised there isn't more on Wado since it's one of the 4 main styles of karate in the world. My first exposure to Wado Ryu was from a YouTube video from Seimeido Dojo that really impressed me as far as the skill of the sensei and the techniques. The more I investigated, the more I found it an interesting style since it looks as though it integrates JuJitsu and Judo (or perhaps Aikido) moves into its karate vernacular.

Am I also correct in assuming that Ohtsuko didn't believe in the hardening of the hands through vigorous repetitive punches against a makiwara? It seems that Wado is a more supple martial art than Goju which definitely conditions the karateka's body and hands through a variety of methods. I'm 43 years old and would prefer something that is good for cardio and exercise but not something that wrecks my hands as I need them in my job (as most people do).

I found a dojo that teaches Wado Ryu fairly close by although I'm surprised that it is only 1 of 2 schools in the entire GTA. There are tons of Goju schools around but I'm really more interested in Wado Ryu. It also looks a lot more practical for self defense. I've done a bit of Wing Chun, Tae Kwon Do and Kung Fu but went the furthest in Goju Ryu.

Thanks!
David Coscina
oneya

Re: Enrolling in Wado Ru coming from Goju Ryu

Post by oneya »

Hi manjin,

What information do you have on the other wado dojo.?

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
claas

Post by claas »

Hi manjin and welcome,

I believe Ohtsuka sometime said shortly that the main difference to other styles is in how we block. It seems this is the case. Also another difference I believe would be in the more mobile way of thinking about stances.

I guess it is good that you have tried different arts, so you already probably have noticed that the best way to learn is to try to not mix the stuff up but instead practice the style you are training. So if you try to forget as much as possible, you will gain from your previous training also in your Wado, but if you are not ready to leave it behind or as a different study, you probably will get the wrong idea.

I hope you find a good teacher and enjoy your research!
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
majin29

Post by majin29 »

oneya wrote:Hi manjin,

What information do you have on the other wado dojo.?

oneya

This video is aspiring for any karateka no matter the style IMHO.
David Coscina
oneya

Post by oneya »

Ah sorry, I did not mean the youtube example - which in my opinion really doesn't show wado at all - I was inquiring about the second of the two dojo you mentioned here:

"I found a dojo that teaches Wado Ryu fairly close by although I'm surprised that it is only 1 of 2 schools in the entire GTA. "

Oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

majin29

Post by majin29 »

oneya wrote:Ah sorry, I did not mean the youtube example - which in my opinion really doesn't show wado at all - I was inquiring about the second of the two dojo you mentioned here:

"I found a dojo that teaches Wado Ryu fairly close by although I'm surprised that it is only 1 of 2 schools in the entire GTA. "

Oneya
oops! Here it is:

http://www.mississaugakickboxing.com/ou ... le_ontario
David Coscina
karateman7

Post by karateman7 »

oneya wrote:Ah sorry, I did not mean the youtube example - which in my opinion really doesn't show wado at all - I was inquiring about the second of the two dojo you mentioned here:

Oneya
Is it safe to say that if you see wado then it's probably not wado? Just like you shouldn't see a kime in a punch?
Sergio Phillipe
oneya

Post by oneya »

No I don't really think it is safe to say that because all generalizations can be proven false - including this one - but let's put it to the test anyway.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

majin29

Post by majin29 »

Not quite sure about the comment "if you see Wado than it probably isn't". I don't quite understand what that means. I think that a school must do what it can to differentiate itself from other styles. I know some dojos in my area advertise teaching traditional Okinawan karate which means Goju (even though there are many iterations of Okinawan karate- it's just that no one teaches them here!).

It looks like the stances in Wado are higher than Goju or Shotokan incidentally. And based on the videos I've seen of Suzuki sensei, there's also more side shifting rather than meeting blocks head on. I also read that Ohtsuka took out what he perceived as non useful moves in Wado. Was it this that created the rift between him and Funakoshi? Or was it their individual belief in the importance of kata?
David Coscina
karateman7

Post by karateman7 »

I was speaking to the mindset and subtleties that you won't see in video. Just because you see a punch and kick done by someone who calls themselves wado doesn't necessarily mean it's wado.

The only reason I mentioned this was looking at the Otsuka meijin videos. There has to be so much stuff we're not seeing that it probably looks like he's just pushing himself against his opponent. It's amazing how few dojos probably don't do things like that (totally unsupported claim that's probably true).
Sergio Phillipe