Enrolling in Wado Ru coming from Goju Ryu

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gusei21

Re: Enrolling in Wado Ru coming from Goju Ryu

Post by Gusei21 »

Gordon,
I'm going to start slapping people....lol

Shep...I don't compete anymore. Neither do the other old farts here.
The point is that we competed in the past...and that experience and that type of training and body knowledge is invaluable to Wado training.
Some people never competed like Kyudo so they don't know what they are missing. Not sure what he did but his wife has a wicked reverse jodan mawashi.
Bob Nash
shep

Post by shep »

Gusei21 wrote: Not sure what he did but his wife has a wicked reverse jodan mawashi.
Ha ha! Mine has a wicked Furi Zuki :-(

shep
shep

Post by shep »

......But i digress. Back to the original topic.... I have had the pleasure of x training in a little Goju every now and then. I like it. It is very different from wado especially the Go aspect as Gusei said. Bunkai is the be all and end all from what I can tell, they live eat and breath Bunkai. It is also very self defence orientated (at least the Goju club I've been to is)

It is infinately better than Shintani crap. So if you really cant find a bone fide Wado club then stick with Goju

shep
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Gusei21 wrote:Gordon,
I'm going to start slapping people....lol
Slap away...
majin29

Post by majin29 »

shep wrote:......But i digress. Back to the original topic.... I have had the pleasure of x training in a little Goju every now and then. I like it. It is very different from wado especially the Go aspect as Gusei said. Bunkai is the be all and end all from what I can tell, they live eat and breath Bunkai. It is also very self defence orientated (at least the Goju club I've been to is)

It is infinately better than Shintani crap. So if you really cant find a bone fide Wado club then stick with Goju

shep
Well, that's easier said then done because I think the Goju schools around where I live are about as pure as the Wado schools. There's one that regularly has Higaonna Sensei do guest clinics which is pretty good but I really would prefer doing Wado as everything I have read about it seems to agree with me more. I can take a free trial class at this Ultimate Karate school (admittedly it's not well marketed) and maybe even get a general idea of Wado. If it does turn out to be only so-so, but I stick with it, then I can seek out more reputable schools but as it stands, all schools in the GTA seem to be derived from Wado Kai and Shintani.

I also must ask, what is problemmatic with Shintani? I would honestly like to be as well informed as possible before I select a school to train at. I signed up for a year at the last school and found out about 6 months in that it was just a money pit but stayed for almost the whole year even though I knew I wasn't staying.
David Coscina
oneya

Post by oneya »

Hi majin,

There are probably many that have been happy enough following the Shintani trail but fortunately it has not been the world wide phenomenon that the wado ryu, wado kai and wado kokusai currently enjoy as Wado Ryu representative bodies. The Shintani group - (as distinct from the JKF Wadokai who are the original body of authority that have denied any connection with the Shintani group) - has been confined to Canada and that in itself speaks volumes, however it has been a bone of contention on a few websites for a few years so most folk on this site would have had their fill of the Wado ryu versus Shintani group by now.

However if you wish to follow that trail: the following website holds a lot of discussion that may be illuminating.?

http://www.all-karate.com/forums/index. ... ntani+wado

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
majin29

Post by majin29 »

oneya wrote:Hi majin,

There are probably many that have been happy enough following the Shintani trail but fortunately it has not been the world wide phenomenon that the wado ryu, wado kai and wado kokusai currently enjoy as Wado Ryu representative bodies. The Shintani group - (as distinct from the JKF Wadokai who are the original body of authority that have denied any connection with the Shintani group) - has been confined to Canada and that in itself speaks volumes, however it has been a bone of contention on a few websites for a few years so most folk on this site would have had their fill of the Wado ryu versus Shintani group by now.

However if you wish to follow that trail: the following website holds a lot of discussion that may be illuminating.?

http://www.all-karate.com/forums/index. ... ntani+wado

oneya
Thanks for the info. It's too bad about the lack of variety or options in Wado up here. I'm looking for a small school with as little marketing hype as possible. I hope that that will mean they just want to train people and not worry about image or merchandising. The last school I went to is a very large chain- kinda like the Walmart of karate schools in Ontario...that should have been enough of a warning sign...ah well, I hadn't done MA for years leading up to it so I was a little green as far as my McDojo radar was concerned...

I'll check out that thread you linked to as well.

I love watching the vids of Suzuki Sensei. For an old guy, he certainly had some intensity and power. but very quick too.

p.s. I heard that Wado practitioners do not use the word "Osu" in their training. Is this true?
David Coscina
oneya

Post by oneya »

p.s. I heard that Wado practitioners do not use the word "Osu" in their training. Is this true?

majin29

Well it is true ... for me..

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
majin29

Post by majin29 »

oneya wrote:

majin29

Well it is true ... for me..

oneya
I cannot start training again until Sept. but I will let you guys know what I think of this Wado school up here in Toronto...not that I have any basis for comparison mind you...except my previous martial arts experiences.
David Coscina
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

majin29 wrote:I heard that Wado practitioners do not use the word "Osu" in their training. Is this true?
Here are older discussions on the same subject that might enlighten you:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/wa ... ISO-8859-1
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/