Kote Gaeshi

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
jacob

Re: Kote Gaeshi

Post by jacob »

I was told it's like polishing an old pair of shoes..... At the start you make good progress in order to get a shine but after a while the shine is harder to improve even with more effort...
wadoka
Site Admin

Re: Kote Gaeshi

Post by wadoka »

oneya wrote: One would think that a technique involving studies in the effects on Uke’s body being more complex and requires a degree of efficiency much higher in the skill range as kote gaeshi obviously does, it would surely need to commence its practices much earlier than KK #5 or so it appears. Kote gaeshi, being a technique that requires a deeper knowledge of irimi and kuzushi than the thrusting and kicking basics borrowed from its Okinawan roots, seems to have escaped the notice of the founder it its preparatory stages, that is until we study its nine basic Okinawan kata a little deeper where it appears Ohtsuka sensei, in changing the emphasis in favour of specific wado ryu theory of movement rather than bunkai, also structured it so that it also includes the building blocks and sections of the elementary structure of kote gaeshi within the bounty of the Pinan kata series, but, as always, you need new eyes again.

oneya

http://www.sannoya.com
Now I can't get parts of pinan yondan and naihanchi out of my mind in conjunction with the kote gaeshi from tanto dori. I should be thining of breakfast before I head off to the course this morning.

Sometimes those eyes wander off and a little slap on the back of the head brings some focus and clarity back.