Suzuki Tatsuo 8th Dan Hanshi. 1928 - 2011.

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
WadoAJ

Suzuki sensei passed away

Post by WadoAJ »

Dear all,

I just received the sad news that Suzuki Tatsuo sensei has passed away.
Our thoughts go out to his closest friends and family.

A.J. van Dijk & H. Ishikawa
Ishikawa Dojo Netherlands
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
honoluludesktop

Re: Suzuki sensei passed away

Post by honoluludesktop »

My condolences to his family, friends, and students. In the 60s he came to Hawaii. I am sorry that I failed to meet him at that time. There are only left, an handful of first generation Japanese instructors who left Japan to teach karate overseas alive today.

Mahalo, hdt
steveig

Post by steveig »

Our condolences from France, a sad day for Wado. He will be greatly missed.

Steve.
Steve Greenwood.
www.chezvalade.com
shep

Post by shep »

Very sad news. Certainly the end of an era. My condolences go to his family and friends and I know a couple are on this forum.

shep
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

Sad news indeed. His passing will send significant ripples through the karate world, not just Wado.

I had an email this morning from a very good source but I've been trying to find somewhere where this has been officially confirmed or further details, with no luck.

Tim
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I can't say I have had "official" confirmation but have had a communication from one of his most senior students and a fellow member of this forum.

I will try and change the title of this thread to represent his lifetime more appropriately.
wadoka
Site Admin

Suzuki Tatsuo 8th Dan Hanshi. 1928 - 2011.

Post by wadoka »

I have recreated the thread as I wanted to have a title that recognises his achievements, his title and his lifetime.

(Posts will be copied across)

From the Bournemouth Wado Ryu Karate Club we send our condolences to Suzuki Sensei's family and friends. It is very sad news for the world of Wado and all those that have been involved or touched by his karate.

There will be those that can write far more eloquently than I on Suzuki Sensei's lifetime and legacy. All I do know is that his influence was global and his life was a dedication to Wado. There are many lessons to learn still.
shep

Re: Suzuki Tatsuo 8th Dan Hanshi. 1928 - 2011.

Post by shep »

wadoka wrote: his life was a dedication to Wado.
I've been informed he was still training as late as yesterday

shep
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

(Posted on behalf of San No Ya)

Suzuki Tatsuo 8th Dan Hanshi Wado ryu.
1928 - 2011

Suzuki Tatsuo 8th dan Hanshi was one of the very few practitioners that has personally experienced most of the wado development through the ebb and flow of the last 69 years of its changes and to a large extent has also been responsible for a great portion of the wado ryu diaspora. For San no Ya principle wado ryu instructors Phil Kear 8th dan, Reg Kear 7th dan and Rob Kear 7th dan He has been the one constant in a sea of change as the political system revolved around him. It was a difficult task for him whilst being trammelled by his obligations, but He came to the realisation that the only way forward was in forging his own organisation of Wado Kokusai Karate Do Renmei while remaining determinedly balanced in his spirit and integrity and resolute in his giri to his sensei.

As Tatsuo Suzuki Sensei’s students we are three of the original five Kear brothers from Bristol in the United Kingdom who started karate in the latter part of 1964 who can still remember waiting impatiently to commence training in wado ryu proper when Suzuki sensei returned to the UK in 1965. Since then our journey has always been both fruitful and joyful to such an extent that at the inaugural meeting of Wado Kokusai karate Do Renmei in Japan my brother Robert spoke for San no Ya as he swore our allegiance until death to Suzuki Tatsuo sensei. Today it is our sad understanding that we can now be released from that obligation. However, while that is possible it will never be possible to release ourselves from the now bittersweet loyalty and countless memories that will always bind us to Him in Suzuki Ha wado ryu - San no Ya.

A great man has left us it is true – His legacy has always been to be resolute in life and resolute in death – He has passed from this world but he has left us with a very proud legacy so we have work to do.

Phil Kear.
Reg Kear.
Rob Kear.
Directors San no Ya.
Australia.
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

It's the end of an era.
My condolences to all the people who had a personal relationship with Suzuki Hanshi. Which must be quite a few in the world of wado...
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/