Kobudo questions

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
blackcat

Kobudo questions

Post by blackcat »

Questions for Steve Delaney..

Pleased we now have you on the forum, if you don't mind I thought I would take the opportunity to ask a question or two.

You mentioned in the thread on AKF about difference in approach between Tenjinshinyo ryu and Yagyu shingan ryu (specifically in relation to the technique kinukatsugi). I'm sure it is correct to say the difference in approach goes much further than that one technique. Would you be able to elaborate on this as I know your main study has been in the older systems has it not?

My other question is probably more straight forward and mundane, but you might be aware that in Wadoryu we adopt the practice of training one side of the body (so in kihon gumite, we always step into right stance to receive the first technique). I saw this in Hontai yoshinryu too. In your experience, would you say this training one side approach is quite typical of the kobudo systems?

Last question, which is just a bit random, but have you come across the Shingetsu Muso Yanagi Ryu in your travels?

Best wishes

Ben
Last edited by blackcat on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zim

Re: Kobudo questions

Post by zim »

Hi Ben,

I know your question was not directed at me but I have recently started training Ryukyu Kobujutsu Hozon Shinko Kai and on Saturday completed my first graduation. The first weapon we train with is the bo and there are three elements very similar to Wado. The first is basics (kamae, uke, seme), kata, and kumite. The kumite we start with is called the 10 (ju) kumite and is very similar to Kihon Kumite as far as the partner interaction. The first grading requirement is on the one side but I do know that later it is required that you can demonstrate proficiency in both sides..

Regards,

Chris
Chris Zimmerman
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

zim wrote:Hi Ben,

I know your question was not directed at me but I have recently started training Ryukyu Kobujutsu Hozon Shinko Kai and on Saturday completed my first graduation. The first weapon we train with is the bo and there are three elements very similar to Wado. The first is basics (kamae, uke, seme), kata, and kumite. The kumite we start with is called the 10 (ju) kumite and is very similar to Kihon Kumite as far as the partner interaction. The first grading requirement is on the one side but I do know that later it is required that you can demonstrate proficiency in both sides..

Regards,

Chris
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. I've gone back and edited my original email to clarify.

Thanks

Ben
Kogusoku

Post by Kogusoku »

blackcat wrote:Questions for Steve Delaney..

Pleased we now have you on the forum, if you don't mind I thought I would take the opportunity to ask a question or two.

You mentioned in the thread on AKF about difference in approach between Tenjinshinyo ryu and Yagyu shingan ryu (specifically in relation to the technique kinukatsugi). I'm sure it is correct to say the difference in approach goes much further than that one technique. Would you be able to elaborate on this as I know your main study has been in the older systems has it not?
Since the aforementioned ryuha have totally different origins chronologically and geographically, there's a plethora of differences. The only similarities were that some kata that had totally different movements and body mechanical concepts/principles, was the name of the kata in one line.

My other question is probably more straight forward and mundane, but you might be aware that in Wadoryu we adopt the practice of training one side of the body (so in kihon gumite, we always step into right stance to receive the first technique). I saw this in Hontai yoshinryu too. In your experience, would you say this training one side approach is quite typical of the kobudo systems?

Last question, which is just a bit random, but have you come across the Shingetsu Muso Yanagi Ryu in your travels?

Best wishes

Ben
Some ryuha have skill sets which are educational. Sayu-waza (左右業 - lit. left-right techniques) are in some ryuha to teach movement in relation to jujutsu. Within some ryuha, they are a later (sometimes a recent) addition to an older body of techniques by subsequent generations of shihan/soke that help to enhance the trainees' understanding of movement and application of principles.

Most techniques in koryu jujutsu ryuha are done on one side for a very good reason; Since we are talking about martial systems that were trained and used by professional warriors of feudal Japan, the usage and carriage of daisho has to be taken into account. Add into the mix a culture where children in school and at home were beaten if they used their left hand in writing or eating. Sayu-waza gave an obvious certain advantage to trainees over those who trained only on one side. A good example of this is in Yagyu Shinkage-ryu heiho (this is a kenjutsu ryuha) where they have a left handed sword technique.

Some throws on one side when unarmed will tactically be flawless, however when wearing an uchigatana & wakizashi, that same throw would be tactically suicidal due to vulnerabilities from countering or from the swords being obstructive in movement and leverage.

And yes, I have seen Shingetsu Muso Yanagi-ryu quite a few times.
Kind Regards,

S.Delaney

東京傳双水執流組討腰之廻
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com

荒木流軍用小具足
http://arakiryugunyokogusoku.wordpress.com/