Shiomitsu Demo Defending Jodanzuki

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
honoluludesktop

Shiomitsu Demo Defending Jodanzuki

Post by honoluludesktop »

shep

Re: Shiomitsu Demo Defending Jodanzuki

Post by shep »

Nice. I like the use of the knee to take kuzushi and also the change of direction and technique which I assume is done after sensing the opponants resistance to being pushed backwards.

shep
shep

Post by shep »

Hi DT

Thanks for posting these. However I'm a bit confused as to the state of your Wado. Have you embrased Shiomitsu Sensei and his teachings as your chief Instructor in order to move forward.

shep
honoluludesktop

Post by honoluludesktop »

shep, Sorry about the confusion, but why do you ask? Are you a member of Shiomitsu' organization, or thinking of joining him?-)

Just to be clear, while I graded Shodan in 1966 with Wado-kai (at a time when it was still under Ohtsuka), I currently have no affiliation with any Wado, or Shiomitsu Sensei's organization. I have a bunch of personally recorded tapes of a wide variety of Karate teachers, and am just sharing bits and pieces of them. Shiomitsu's are the only Wado ones I have in digital format. I also don't think it's proper to post Kanazawa's techniques here. Most of my tapes are analogue.

This sequence is the longest set of movements defending jodanzuki by flowing. The examples ends at other points (the first take down opportunity, etc.). Again it's a demo, he is constantly talking and varying the timing of each phase, ending it at different points in different ways. Shiomitsu once told me that he practiced long and hard to acquire his skill. He once spent about 40 minuets with us going over the technical dynamics of seiza as they relate to body control, and martial mechanics, other then striking and "Rei" (something like the tape on junzuki dachi I previously posted).

IMO and experience, Toru Arakawa was the purest (hard to see his movements), and Shiomitsu the best seminar teacher.
shep

Post by shep »

Hi DT

Ah right, thanks for clearing that up. Maybe confused was the wrong word to use. Gave the impression I was dwelling on the subject (I really wasn't) It was just a passing thought.

To answer you question, no I am not an Remnei member, these days I train under sensei Sakagami and his Aiwakai organisation. Again thanks for posting these, they are all very interesting he is a sensei I have yet to train under, I hope to rectify that very soon.

shep