Japanese Terminology/Lexicon

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
TSYR

Japanese Terminology/Lexicon

Post by TSYR »

Hello,

This is not directed at anyone in particular but something for everyone to consider.

When employing terminology from another language, particularly in a closed cultural pursuit such as budo, it is often problematic to consult a contemporary dictionary for definitions because what is provided almost always exists out of proper context. Japanese is uniquely problematic in this arena because context is so important when it comes to interpreting terminology/lexicon and meaning. Exacerbating the issue in budo is the fact that many common terms still in use today were influenced by arcane applications isolated from modern times. Omote, ura and henka are perfect examples of this problem. "Omote" in a martial art like aikido can represent a concept completely different from that employed in koryu jujutsu or even Judo. Similarly "ura waza" can represent something completely different in related arts like Yagyu Shinkage ryu and Jikishinkage ryu.

So...when employing terminology related to a specialized pursuit be aware that you are on shakey ground if you pop open your Oxford Japanese Dictionary and announce to experienced members like those here that "Ki" means life force. That is not remotely accurate in many applications of the term.

Because closed pursuits like budo ryuha develop their own unique lexicon, I suggest writers clearly define specific terms before using them. Consequently before defining them, I suggest you first consult those with authoritative experience in the pursuit being discussed. Making assumptions about a unique pursuit's lexicon more often than not confuses rather than informs.

Respectfully,

TSYR
Tobin E Threadgill
Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin Kai
http://www.shinyokai.com
claas

Re: Japanese Terminology/Lexicon

Post by claas »

Hi TSYR,

Very good point. Sometimes I feel that Wado is more effectively taught without too much Japanese, but just explanation of what's going on instead. Of course if the people were more motivated and the instruction was more personal, more Japanese (along with the context) would perhaps be a good idea. Here in the western world when hearing Japanese we tend to see things bigger when they are small and smaller when they are big.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
oneya

Post by oneya »

Hi TSYR,

To add to this problem there is also the fact that many members here then have to filter this Japanese-technical terminology from their native tongue to English which is a bit of a mongrel lexicon ( having borrowed or stolen bits and pieces) and really is still a work in progress.. The omote-ura concept is fairly simple on the surface and is not unusual in many languages. When we consider that 'thought' comes under the 'ura' designation in its wider Japanese sense, it is perhaps only when it is circumscribed by physical form that technical terminology problems can multiply across languages.

It is easy to see why the dojo is a haven..

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
honoluludesktop

Post by honoluludesktop »

Hi tsyr, good post. I think that we are all aware of the problem, but aside from that, what can be done. Take my case in point. I am a new member to this board, and am not aware of the consensus understanding of some words. To complicate matters, the meaning of a word can change from one context to another. Still in a attempt to communicate, there may be no option except to muddle along. Hopefully, until we all get on the same page. Then someone else will come along, from another part of the world, and we may find ourselves back to square one.

Still, it's good to be reminded of the problem from time to time.