Ah, jodan uke again

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

Ah, jodan uke again

Post by wadoka »

Shiomitsu Sensei was teaching nearby on Tuesday.

Partway through the lesson he made a gesture to me like drawing the sword. I know he knows that I have done a very small amount of swordplay (more appropriate word in my case) but didn't know why it was directed to me.

Anyway, I was asked to take up kamae as if drawing the sword and someone stood in front and provided resistance and I struggled to move my arm.

Sensei then stood behind the person and said he was going to attack and I had to draw. My arm shot up high and the other person couldn't hold on (I won't mention the different angle to before if you don't), with a turn of the hips thrown in as if pulling the saya/scabbard away. I heard Jodan Uke get mentioned and we quickly moved onto something else.

That was amongst a wider point he was making about thinking of or focusing on something further away, and not stopping.

Kihon, kihon, it is all kihon.

(Side note, as I wrote this I now know what the scabbard fish is called that, it is long and black. Obvious really, d'oh.)
oneya

Re: Ah, jodan uke again

Post by oneya »

wadoka wrote:
Kihon, kihon, it is all kihon.
Nice just like breathing Gordon. it keeps you alive..

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
honoluludesktop

Post by honoluludesktop »

Shiomitsu Sensei is a great teacher, isn't he? I had oppertunity to attend the seminars of many exceptional first generation teachers, Kanazawa, Asai, Arakawa, Mori, etc., but Shiomitsu Sensei was the only one as comfortable at the chalk board, as "on the mat". IMO his demonstration skills are superb. As you said, he always emphasized the need to commit, beyond the outward form. If you get the chance, ask him to partner up in kihon-kumite, so that you can feel his "ura waza". From the Hagakura, "The way of the Samurai is found in death. When it comes to either/or, there is only the quick choice of death. It is not particularly difficult. Be determined and advance....". This suggest that when you live as though you are dead, you do not need to consider the consequence of losing your life. When the time for action comes, there is no reservation in your advance. In Judo, Mifune reminds us that "proverbs teach "you can't catch the tigers cub unless you dare to step into its cave", and "risk all and gain all", hence "here comes a mind in perfect harmony with body"".
Last edited by honoluludesktop on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shep

Post by shep »

Hi honoluludesktop

Welcome to the forum, I recognise you from the old KU and KR forums. Thanks for your video posts of both Shiomitsu Sensei and the late Hirano sensei. Are you from the Hirano school or are you Wado Academy, I always meant to ask you

Shep
honoluludesktop

Post by honoluludesktop »

I was Hirano Sensei's student from the late 60's until he passed. Of course, there was a lot of time off, and I didn't train continuously.