Outdoor training

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
shep

Outdoor training

Post by shep »

Its been very quiet on the forum recently, so I thought I would throw this one in. Our dojo is located at a sports college with acres upon acres of sports pitches outside our door. When I was younger, during the summer it would be nothing for my sensei to pair everyone up and we would run in a regimented fasion barefoot in our gi's around the streets to a local park and do our training in the park and then run back through the streets to the dojo to finish of.

Yet with the acres of greenery outside our door we never step foot outside the dojo. I assume this is for 'health and safety' reasons (probably make any insurance invalid the moment you step outside the dojo). I think this is a real shame. Does anyone else train outside their dojo when possible?

shep
steveig

Re: Outdoor training

Post by steveig »

shep wrote:Its been very quiet on the forum recently, so I thought I would throw this one in. Our dojo is located at a sports college with acres upon acres of sports pitches outside our door. When I was younger, during the summer it would be nothing for my sensei to pair everyone up and we would run in a regimented fasion barefoot in our gi's around the streets to a local park and do our training in the park and then run back through the streets to the dojo to finish of.

Yet with the acres of greenery outside our door we never step foot outside the dojo. I assume this is for 'health and safety' reasons (probably make any insurance invalid the moment you step outside the dojo). I think this is a real shame. Does anyone else train outside their dojo when possible?

shep
Hi Shep,
Yep we used to run through the town and train in a local park, I got a real buzz out of it.
Seems a shame to be inside on a lovely summers evening.
Steve.
Steve Greenwood.
www.chezvalade.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I know on the summer courses with the Wado Academy we have simply went outside to the playing fields literally just outside the side doors.

I'm not too sure about running through the town centre barefooted in gi.

Unfortunately there is a little hazard of sun burn as can be seen in the photo below after the first day of the course in 2006!

I think this might be a better option, to use a cap or hat.

andyb28

Post by andyb28 »

Last weekend our club was at Saxmundham for a camping / training weekend. We do two of these every year, but I see this as quite different to running through a town centre in a Gi.
I would guess its asking for trouble running past pubs etc.

Having said that, we were taken outside of the leisure centre in the snow with bare feet, cant say it was a pleasent experience :p
Andy Booth
Colchester Traditional Karate Club
steveig

Post by steveig »

andyb28 wrote:Last weekend our club was at Saxmundham for a camping / training weekend. We do two of these every year, but I see this as quite different to running through a town centre in a Gi.
I would guess its asking for trouble running past pubs etc.

Having said that, we were taken outside of the leisure centre in the snow with bare feet, cant say it was a pleasent experience :p
Things were a bit different in the 70's
Apart from class training, we used to run through the town on the big courses, Suzuki senseis and Ticky Donovans.We did wear trainers though.
Steve Greenwood.
www.chezvalade.com
oneya

Post by oneya »

Running in Dojo, on courses through the countryside, on the beach or through the city or town centre is all renshu and all for the same reason: Heijoshin.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
metalfury

Post by metalfury »

My brother-in-law has written an article about the 'Kan Geiko' winter training they do at the JKA HQ in Tokyo.

http://www.theshotokanway.com/neiloconn ... panp2.html

Basically they jog round a snowy Tokyo in their Gis!
--------------
Rob Barrett
UK