Wado Myth: no "karate ni sentenashi" here please, we're Wado

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

Re: Wado Myth: no "karate ni sentenashi" here please, we're

Post by wadoka »

Was that as part of the initial move or just after, as in to come forward to meet ukemi for example? Was he compensating for someone who had overcommitted?

Controlling maai is the underlying principle but so far I have only been taught to move and stay. Just moving because it is deemed as part of the roles is where it breaks down I feel.
oneya

Post by oneya »

Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
oneya

Post by oneya »

wadoka wrote:
Controlling maai is the underlying principle but so far I have only been taught to move and stay. Just moving because it is deemed as part of the roles is where it breaks down I feel.
Hi wadoka.. perhaps we can look at the wado ryu this way.

If we move because it is deemed part of the roles ‘It’ doesn’t break down G, we let it down..It is like reading a technical manual and making a judgment if we cannot ‘see’ what we want after getting to the first chapter.

If we understand it is a process but do not understand that the process never ends until our life ends because we are living the process in the manner of Shu Ha Ri so any perceived faults in the process are really in our own reflection of the process.

In saying it is a process we must understand that it is our own physical, intellectual, emotional and spiritual development and maturation that will be the result of the process. We are responsible for our own life's development in all of these physical, intellectual, emotional and spiritual aspects . ergo: we are responsible for our own wado ryu. We begin the process not knowing this – so we practice and train in order to know and understand that we need to develop the wisdom to actually embody the process - which means the process is just us.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

shep

Post by shep »

There is a school of thought that Wado should let go of its karate chains and accept its purest background which is Koryu Jujutsu, and if progress is to be made it is here the journey begins (is that topic drift and maybe a new thread required?)

shep
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Fun topic.
Wadoka...think about this..
Going back can be the same as going forward.... :)
If we push forward too much then the attacker has no room to attack.
So we are still pushing forwards..always....but we still need to create the space for the opponent otherwise he will just turn and run.....
And that would be a pain because we would then have to chase them down!!!

So yes Otsuka Sensei was always going 'forward'. Watch it carefully. It's just that forward for someone who is aware of maai is not always directionally forward...

SAP calls...later...

By the way...did you see that handsome old geezer on the magazine cover?
B

addition:
I hate to use Japanese words but in this case...
We call this 'maai o tsumeru' which sort of means squeeze the maai.
On a practically level I learned this when I was young after a competition where I got not one but two black eyes and ended up looking like a racoon.
Sensei always told us to press the opponent so I was just following orders..or so I thought.
He started laughing and said that 'maai o tsumeru' did not mean always going directionally going forward unless you had a good dental plan.
Japanese martial arts is based on sente. So yes, we push. HOW to push is the art I guess...lol. We always apply pressure on the opponent.
We do it with physical distance. We do it with psychological distance (our spirit?) .
So we have to show this in kihon kumite. We must (as the defender) first go back then we apply pressure by going forward...but if we tsumeru too much then that is also not good because in the case of kihon kumite the other person has to be able to launch an attack.
That is why on some videos Otsuka Sensei is going forward and yet on others he goes back a bit...but in both instances he is still 'pushing forwards'.
Bob Nash
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

OK, I see what you mean and have seen that before. I thought you meant he jumped in or out, as in using okuri ashi and not just ayumi ashi.

I would understand the need if he was facing a 6 foot 4 basketball player that happened to take up karate.

The fact that he comes to meet ukemi is another lesson.
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Gusei21 wrote: By the way...did you see that handsome old geezer on the magazine cover?
B
Totally awesome as you say across there.
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

Hello Gentlemen, (I haven't spotted any ladies yet, or am I mistaken?)

I heard some familiar voices in this corner of the web and decided to join.

To the point:
"Karate ni sente nashi" has been bugging me to no end, lately. My 12 year old son had a presentation at school where he explained that karate has no first attack. I chastised him for preferring wikipedia over the knowledge of both his parents.
One of the teachers at school then congratulated me with my son's superb explanation of the non-violent nature of karate.
Whaaa!!!!

So I searched the web to educate my son, as it seems to hold more authority than me. I came across this interesting explanation:
http://cambridgekarateclub.org/SenteAndGote
which ties sente to the game of Go. I've played Go quite a lot and it sure seems reasonable to me. The writer doesn't seem to have fully grasped the concept of tai sabaki tough, but then he belongs to Shotokan and must therefor be forgiven.
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
oneya

Post by oneya »

kyudo wrote:Hello Gentlemen,

I heard some familiar voices in this corner of the web and decided to join.

Nice to hear from you Kyudo - I hope your time here will be mutually profitable.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

oneya

Post by oneya »

shep wrote:There is a school of thought that Wado should let go of its karate chains and accept its purest background which is Koryu Jujutsu, and if progress is to be made it is here the journey begins (is that topic drift and maybe a new thread required?)

shep

I have been branded a 'purist' before Shep but I haven't come across this particular 'school of thought' - I don't know that I can agree with it. Ohtsuka obviously didn't think so..!

It may well need a new thread to shake out a few wrinkles..?

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.