JKF Wadokai Seminar - Manchester

Put your notices on forthcoming events and post-event write ups.
WKU

Re: JKF Wadokai Seminar - Manchester

Post by WKU »

I've put the photos of the London course on some web space for those of you who are interested:

http://www.201bpm.com/HogarthJMCMarch11.html

Kate
Kate Williams
shep

Post by shep »

Thanks for those Kate. I think I recognise you in one or two of the photo's.

shep
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

The photo's from London are really good - must have been taken by someone who trains karate!

These are more generic in nature http://www.flickr.com/photos/60860936@N ... 540377390/
I've reached my limit on photo uploads for Flickr this month so this will have to be a monthly installment if I'm to upload all 600 or so..

Ben
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Thank you all for posting the links and photos so far.
WKU

Post by WKU »

Finally I got the video and uploaded it. I have to admit I haven't played around much with video and the web so I put the .vob and associated files in a zip file so you can down load them and use Windows Media Player. I did try to convert it to .mp4, .mov etc. but it doubled the size and reduced the quality!

Anyway, I think it's worth downloading. There's over 23 minutes and it's good quality footage.

I hope you ike it. If you have any problems, post here and I'll see what I can do.

Same link as before:

http://www.201bpm.com/HogarthJMCMarch11.html

Cheers, Kate
Kate Williams
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Thank you for posting the video.

There is a lot of instruction coming across. Pressure on those getting analysed :-) . I enjoy it more when it isn't me.

On a technical note - 500Mb is a lot so I would check what bandwidth usage you get as part of your web hosting service just in case you exceed it.
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Kate, I have converted it to a 44Mb WMV file.

I can get it to you if you like. I don't want to put onto my server because of the bandwidth usage myself. You could then upload that onto YouTube and let them handle it.
shep

Post by shep »

I couldn't download it for some reason

shep
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Really enjoyed the film Kate, thanks for putting it up there. I had some trouble getting it to work but eventually solved that by opening it with windows media player from explorer. Shep - try saving it down first rather than just opening it - it' should be obvious then which file you have to open.

Gordon mentioned in his response that he'd rather not be the person demonstrating the movement (understandable as its tough being scrutinised by all assembled), but that was a feature of their teaching approach. Not so much to put these individuals in the spotlight but to use participants as models for the various technique or kumite and then they point out the technical points - good and bad. It's easier to relate to than when you see people of our own technical level being corrected, then you think to yourself "maybe I am doing that too?". If its just the instructors doing the techniques you just think "wow!" thats great technique, but you're not really learning how to do it yourself, at least not as much as you might do.

What you see them do on the film is a reflection of the approach in Toru Arakawa's dojo - superficially it's simple training, but the explanations are always principle based.

They are back here again in March 2012, so we've a little less than a year to brush up on what they've shown us so far...

Ben
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

It was a bit tongue in cheek from me as ever, as actually that kind of constant correction and reinforcement is invaluable and you are the one actually feeling what should be happening.

I did enjoy watching it as well.