Weights

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
andyb28

Weights

Post by andyb28 »

Hi Guys,

I finally joined this forum and see I have some catching up to do.

I have a question that I have always wondered and its now quite relevant to me. There are a lot of myths about weight training and fast / slow twitch muscle fibers, so I am hoping someone can shed light on these.

So, my problem is I pulled my hamstring last week at karate (it popped, strange sensation I have never experienced before) and am having trouble walking at the moment, so I guess its going to be a while before I can do running and karate, which form the majority of my current exercise. So I was thinking about what else I could do to keep fit during this recovery period. I could possibly do swimming, I am going to give that a go tomorrow, but mainly I wondered about weights.

As I enjoy competition / sport karate, I have for a long time been working on my speed and trying to control the power and impact, as a bigger guy 6ft / around 14.5 stone, I could do with losing a bit more weight and have read that weights are good for this. Perhaps this is the perfect time to find out? However, I have never really known what to do that best suits my karate, I dont want to be bigger or bulk out in any way and I certainly do not want to slow myself down.

So my question is, if I were to turn to weights, should I do low reps of high weight, high reps of low weights or something else? I am sure I read somewhere that your muscle fiber speed is what you were born with, but you can assist it being better.

I look forward to your answers so that I can prevent myself turning back into a fat bloater whilst I cant train :)

Andy
Andy Booth
Colchester Traditional Karate Club
oneya

Re: Weights

Post by oneya »

HI Andy,

If trimming the weight is your intent then low weights and high reps is the way to go. It is simple to see when we look at weight lifting as a sport, there are very few heavy lifters that have the ripped six pack of the weight training enthusiast.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Where the Achilles joins the calf popped when I was at squad training a few years back. I fell to the floor and immediately turned around to look behind to find the person that had just hit the back of my leg with a metal pipe. That's how it felt, weird. I had to drive back home as well.

Hope the recovery goes well.
shep

Post by shep »

Hi Andy

Wey Hey! I can get my Sports Therapy hat on after 15 years!

Initially you need to rest it for a week or two. Swimming is a good start to your rehab but take it easy. A Dyno Band is also good for rehab exercise and will get your hamstrings use to light weight training.

When its time to start with the proper weights the general rule of thumb is heavy weights and low reps for bulk (anaerobic), light weights and plenty of reps for weight loss and toning (aerobic). Also massage your leg every night, up and down along the hamstrings to stretch them (best done after a hot bath).

But I have to stress dont rush into anything it could prolong your hamstring recovery if you do too much too soon.

If in doubt see a Physio

shep
WKU

Post by WKU »

First get some good physio now. It'll speed up your recovery, help prevent a weakness in your hamstring and reduce scar tissue.

Regarding weights, reps of 1 to 5 will build muscle strength not size, reps of 6 - 7 will give equal changes in strength and size and reps of 8 to 15 will give greater size gains with less effect on strength.

So I would go heavy, in the range of 1 to 5 reps, but I would follow this up with some explosive/plyometric work to build on speed and endurance. So for example for legs I often do squats followed by box jumps or power snatches (this is really great for my cycling and the power snatches for hip speed). But at the moment that would be a bad ideal for you with a hamstring injury so another example would be barbell chest press (say 5 sets of 5 reps) a couple of minutes rest then press ups with claps or punch bag intervals.

If you are new to weights get some tuition on good technique so you avoid injuries and get a rounded routine that covers all you major muscle groups. And don't forget your core (note emphasis on core not abbs only)

Regarding muscle fibres you are born with 3 types: slow twitch, fast twitch and an intermediate type that can be influenced either way how your train. Also, each muscle is different, so for example hamstrings are predominantly fast twitch hence respond better to low rep, high weight training.

There is masses more of course but I hope this little bit helps.
Kate Williams
andyb28

Post by andyb28 »

Thanks very much for the help and advice offered here guys.

I have been a member of gyms in the past and can still remember a lot of things about it. Have ordered a weight bench and some weights, just waiting for them to arrive.

Andy
Last edited by andyb28 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Booth
Colchester Traditional Karate Club
WKU

Post by WKU »

Good luck Andy!
Kate Williams
metalfury

Post by metalfury »

shep wrote: When its time to start with the proper weights the general rule of thumb is heavy weights and low reps for bulk (anaerobic), light weights and plenty of reps for weight loss and toning (aerobic).
This is what I've already been told, but I was reading this articlerecently on weight training for more basic explosive strength in karate and it cites research to the opposite (there is more detail on the actual page):
karatebyjesse.com wrote: Scientist Schmidbleicher and Buhrle compared three types of strength training, conducted with three groups of people, for a couple of weeks.

Group 1 used very heavy weights, and lifted them a few times only (90% RM, 3×3)
Group 2 used light loads and lifted them a couple of times (45% RM, 5×8)
Group 3 used moderate loads and lifted them many times (70% RM, 3×12)

Group 1:
Maximum strength: 18% increase
Speed-strength: 34% increase
Activation of motor units (the “speed” of the nervous system): 8 % increase
Hypertrophy (increase in muscle mass): 10% increase

Group 2
Maximum strength: 17% increase
Speed-strength: 11% increase
Activation of motor units: 3 % increase
Hypertrophy: 10% increase

Group 3
Maximum strength: 21% increase
Speed-strength: 4% increase
Activation of motor units: 4 % decrease (!)
Hypertrophy: 18% increase

...if we really want to increase our speed-strength (which we probably want if we train Karate), we should use the first method (Group 1). It will also give us some increase in maximum strength (good for joint locks, grappling etc.) and a good boost for the nervous system (better activation of motor units) along with a slight increase of muscle mass. Mix this type of strength training with Karate, and you have a winning combination.

If we want to train for rehabilitation on the other hand, the second method (Group 2) is good. It uses light weights (less dangerous), but gives almost the same results as the first method, except the big increase in speed-strength. Can aso be used in a preparational phase, before method one is used.

And finally, if we wish to have big, buff, muscles, we should use the third method (Group 3), commonly known as the bodybuilding method. The downside is that it gives almost no speed-strength, and it actually decreases the “speed” of our nervous system! And, to top it off, we become slow, since we have to carry around extra muscle mass.
The group 2 results might be an interesting consideration for your rehab?
andyb28 wrote:I could do with losing a bit more weight and have read that weights are good for this.
From what I have read, weight training is good for fat loss because the increased muscle mass uses extra resources, burning more calories and increasing your Basic Metabolic Rate. The advantage is that the additional mussle mass burns calories all the time so you don't just have to rely on aerobic activity - Every time you move your muscles, whether it's walking, lifting up a box, or typing on your computer, you burn calories. Note I used fat loss rather than weight loss - muscle weights more than fat so you might not notice any difference on the scales, but look awesome!

Good luck with the recovery.
--------------
Rob Barrett
UK
shep

Post by shep »

I was very careful to add to my post about the 'general rule of thumb' because never having met Andy there is so much more that would have to be ascertained in order to give a more precise answer.

I found the above study interesting but somewhat vague. For example it mentiones group 1, group 2 and group 3 but nowhere does it mention who these groups actually are, their ages, genders, hight, build, diets, lifestyles etc.

One thing I learnt over the years was that for every scientific study saying one thing another will come along to either expand or deny and claim something else. Thats not to say the above study is wrong just a little different to what last years study found and probably next years study will find.

I use to get a magazine called 'Peak Performance' relating to sports medicine. It is on line now and is good if you want to keep abreast of latest developments and findings relating to weights, diet etc. There is also a forum there where you can discuss injuries and rehab, might be worth checking out.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/

If your into your weights training, plyometric training, diet, exercise etc it is an interesting magazine and site. But if in doubt always see a qualified professional.

Good luck with your rehab Andy

shep
WKU

Post by WKU »

There's a lot of truth in what you say there shep and I have always found pponline to be good!
Kate Williams