In search of wado ryu.

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
claas

Re: In search of wado ryu.

Post by claas »

Of course there is nothing wrong with any of this as long as they don't claim to have "improved Wado" or even better admit that they simply discarded it. People find different paths and some get tired of learning a system so they create one of their own. It can be a very fruitful project and of course there's nothing wrong with that. At least that system can be taught correctly from the beginning.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
shep

Post by shep »

claas wrote:People find different paths and some get tired of learning a system so they create one of their own. It can be a very fruitful project and of course there's nothing wrong with that. At least that system can be taught correctly from the beginning.
Not sure I agree with that sentiment claas. A quick link to the other thread running at the moment regarding KK8 can show what happens when a system is watered down and bits thrown out and other bits added and many other important componant parts disregarded and/or totally forgotten. Or have I misunderstood what you've said.

shep
oneya

Post by oneya »

While all that you say may be true Claas and - perhaps it is me - but when Ohtsuka meijin was obviously working on the 'less is more' theory when winnowing the chaff from the kernel of his method, then the act of adding more to the mix seems to be superfluous and implicitly - if tacitly - speaks of an improvement to wado ryu.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
claas

Post by claas »

Hi,

Shep,
Could you please point out what you mean in the KK8-thread? (There of course...)

Oneya,
I totally agree. Of course I don't know what the guys are up to actually, so this is just very general theoreticising. If they claim it's an improvement, they are on thin ice. But if they instead say "this is something new" and admit also something is lost it's healthy, I think. This has happened with many modern systems, as we all know, and who are we to judge them, at least as long as they don't judge us?

What we can see on the videos is a different way of thinking for example about mobility vs stableness, so the fact is it is something different. Why it is something different is probably because a different tactic for different needs. So perhaps comparison in terms of betterness can't be made?

We'll just hope they don't make this comparison from the viewpoint of Wado thinking. Otherwise it would be clear they just didn't get it in the first place.

I also have to say that I like what I see on the videos even though I don't understand it. They are doing something well.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
shep

Post by shep »

Hi claas

The Kihon Hachihonme thread, specifically page 2. One of the threads on the old AK forum was mentioned, I tried to find that but was unsuccessful.

shep
oneya

Post by oneya »

claas wrote:At least that system can be taught correctly from the beginning.
I don't know why this is but the Zansho kata itself has a some kind of occidental - teutonic even - whispering for me instead of the more inward notion of Japanese culture that the wado ryu obviously carries. I feel it may have something to do with the instability of the rear leg/foot in the opening sequences of the kata. As I said, I don't know why this is, perhaps I may just need to see a physician?

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
claas

Post by claas »

Hi shep,

Got it! I also remember the writing about that "improved" naihanchidachi, so no worries.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland