WKF drop Shitei Kata

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gary

WKF drop Shitei Kata

Post by Gary »

If this is true - it's an interesting U-Turn.

http://www.karatebyjesse.com/wkf-shitei ... jkf-bonus/

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
Gusei21

Re: WKF drop Shitei Kata

Post by Gusei21 »

Gary wrote:If this is true - it's an interesting U-Turn.

http://www.karatebyjesse.com/wkf-shitei ... jkf-bonus/

Gary
Glad it is gone.
It was a waste of time.
One day kata competition will also be gone.
I will be cheering.
In my opinion kata competition is a waste of time and only promotes bad karate.
But I still encourage my students to participate because standing in front of others and performing in a competition setting does help with other stuff besides kata.
Kata should only be embu. Or kata is something that you show to your sensei so he can see where you are in your growth.
I look at the WKF and kata is a mess. The judges are clueless. I know some of the judges personally and we are not on the same page at all. So it is pointless. It only promotes bad technique.
The current system is so broken it cannot be fixed.
It is not possible to educate the judges. They already think they know so it is a waste of time.
Glad shitei is gone.

And if we get into the Olympics then kata competition will be gone and that will be good.

Forgot to add: This does not mean I agree with the author of the above article. I take no issue with JKF kata. I take issue with the judging and the way judging is taught at the WKF level.
Okinanwa kata is Okinawan kata. JKF kata is JKF kata. Different animals. Japanese goju is not Okinawan goju. Okinawans can't tell Wado that their kata is wrong because Wado/Shotokan is Japanese, not Okinanwan. Can't speak for Shito.
Bob Nash
KarateREF

Post by KarateREF »

Hi

I will go to German Open WKF Premier League to referee at the end of September. Her the proposal for the new WKF kata-rules will be tested in a meet.
After this I will try to get back and give more info. if someone are interested in kata-competition .
Ove Viggedal
WKF Karate Referee
claas

Post by claas »

In the topic about bunkai and kaisetsu...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=534
...the daini shiteigata videos came up. In case someone wants to continue about the shitei part of that discussion, perhaps this is a better thread.
Sorry for the double post.
mspain wrote:These are the shitei kata videos.

http://karate-dvd.sakura.ne.jp/index.ph ... ucts_id=46
claas wrote:Thank you!

Noticed that the videos were publiced in 2003. Was actually interested in some standards which was the reason for asking about the year. Especially in Kushanku I believe some changes were made after the videos to the shiteigata version. There is another thread (if I recall correctly) about shiteigata but for the lazier people here are the old shiteigata listings.

The original Shiteigata

Seienchin & Bassai Dai (Shitoryu)
Jion & Kanku Dai (Shotokan)
Saifa & Seipai (Gojuryu)
Seishan & Chinto (Wad-ryu)

Daini Shiteigata

Kururunfa & Seisan (Gojuryu)
Empi & Kanku sho (Shotokan)
Matsumura no Rohai & Nipaipo (Shitoryu)
Kushanku& Niseishi (Wadoryu)

So this video covered the daini shiteigata.

Sorry for the topic drift. Maybe better to continue about shiteigata and its standards in the shiteigata thread and continue here about bunkai and kaisetsu. Just wanted to put this in perspective, since I guess I was not the only one wondering what exactly these videos were.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
KarateREF

Post by KarateREF »

WKF will NOT at this moment drop the kata list, but you can say it is only kata "by name" according to the school
you perform your kata after. Kata is also on the shortlist for the Olympics... good or no good?

Ove Viggedal
WKF Karate Referee
Ove Viggedal
WKF Karate Referee
claas

Post by claas »

Hi Ove,

What katas can a competitor choose from and what kind of a standard regarding stances etc has the competitor got to follow?

What is the role of the shiteigata nowadays? None?

I personally don't mind if karate becomes an olympic sport. Quite the opposite. Some people worry that the traditional aspect will die because of karate becoming too much of a sport. My guess is that karate will die if it doesn't find ways to attract more people and also give these pathways for competing. There are so many martial arts these days.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland