Fudoshin Fudomyoo Fudodachi Fudosan

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gusei21

Fudoshin Fudomyoo Fudodachi Fudosan

Post by Gusei21 »

Silly dumb joke on my behalf.
Fudoshin means immovable mind.
Fudo myoo means immovable esoteric teaching
Fudo dachi is immovable stance.
Fudosan mean real estate agency :)

Anyway since Suzuki Sensei talked about Fudoshin from time to time and since Fudo myoo is the Japanese martial arts God so to speak ( in a very loose way) I am posting a link from ebudo.

All I am saying is that this is probably the most important marital arts link I have ever posted.
I hope it generates curiosity and more questions for you and that it encourages you to do more research on this very profound subject.

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread. ... d-Fudoshin

And yeah...Dan Harden got banned from Ebudo......lol.... Apparently the moderators got a lot of heat for this.
I won't go into why since I will only be speculating.

All I will tell you is that the meat of the discussion is something that is not very well known in the Japanese martial arts community.
People talk about it from time to time but much of this knowledge are the core of secret teaching of many of the Japanese koryu like Shindo Yoshin Ryu and others. So if you can understand this stuff then its then a matter of figuring out how to apply it to your particular art.

I can imagine this is the kind of stuff Ohtsuka Sensei discussed with very senior people from the other arts. This was both the intellectual and physical playground of the likes of the founders of Yagyu and Yoshin ryu and Takeda Sosaku, Morihei Uyeshiba and the other giants of Japanese martial arts.
Bob Nash
Gusei21

Re: Fudoshin Fudomyoo Fudodachi Fudosan

Post by Gusei21 »

I want to add one thing.

I started to read and follow all the links within the link.
At times I wanted to run from the room screaming because it was like watching a bunch of 12 year olds in a food fight.
Some will say that its not worth the effort.
I say it is.
If you can manage to wade thru all the horse manure there is plenty of gold to be found.
It's just that there is so much horse manure in that field.

People who do not know will defend what little they know because they think they know more than they know.
(I should start writing rap lyrics).

But holy crap.....I think wearing hakama for too long somehow warps your brain.

If you think someone is full of crap then go meet them and check them out for yourself. That's why I was compelled to seek out Shintani.

Go out and meet them. Go out and touch Toby Threadgill. Go out and touch Dan Harden. You might be fortunate enough to find someone who knows more than you - or not...depending upon the individual. (Punch line...Shintani was horrible. Shockingly horrible.)
Bob Nash
oneya

Post by oneya »

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harden
Kwabe's breath work and "stake standing," Tokimune's breathwork, and solo drills, Sagawa's exercises, Okomotos push hand drill, Horikawas breath work, share much in common with Sho-Sho ryu's breathwork conditioning for atemi, the esoteric training offered at Katori and Kashima jingu (as noted by the founder of Shinto ryu) Yagyu Shingon ryu's conditioning, Goju ryu's conditioning,

Wado ryu's solo training drills ( meant to generate Aiki.....are all Chinese.

The Asian arts share many common attributes for conditioning the body to create aiki. The actual execution has different flavors, but it is all based on yin/ yang.
Interesting observation. . .

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Hi Reg,

I wasn't there but apparently some of my Wado friends in Sweden attended Dan's seminar last year and they showed Dan their stuff...
I don't know what they showed but what I do know is that any person trained in the internal stuff can look at Wado and easily determine what we are 'suppose to be' doing. Same with Goju and a few other styles I suppose.

What is interesting to me beside the gold mine he is leaving at our feet, is the reaction of the people who have invested years of their lives doing the wrong thing. It is like a religion. It's hard to backtrack when you have invested so much energy in something that might turn out to be a dead end.

I think a side lesson in all of this is to have the ability to constantly reevaluate your belief system in the most honest way possible and to test what you know against people outside your bubble so you can keep growing as a martial artist.
Bob Nash
claas

Post by claas »

Gusei21 wrote: People who do not know will defend what little they know because they think they know more than they know.
(I should start writing rap lyrics).
LOL! :D :D

And now I guess I have a little reading to do...
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
oneya

Post by oneya »

Ah Bob, I am not disputing the Chinese influence, I only raised a tentative eyebrow when Mr Harden drew his line in the sand at China when there is ample evidence of a progenitorial Buddhist influence wandering in from the Indian subcontinent and being instrumental in shaping the Shaolin Temple’s legend in the history of fisticuffs and the benefits of co-ordinated body development and the science of breathing.

What is also interesting is: if we are retracing the path of karate jutsu or karate do we will surely travel to China via Okinawa but if we are immersed in koryu, even if only for its romantic lure of fluttering hakama sabaki, there will be no doubt our path will diverge and perhaps bypass Okinawa altogether, however the breath and bodywork will be very familiar, if not in some cases actually the same.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Hi Reg,

I can't speak for Dan but I do know that he teaches yoga people how to use their 'yoga' to fight. :)
Meaning that he demonstrates the martial intent of many of their yoga exercises and I know he is seriously studying it at the moment.
And of course by saying Acala Vidya you are stating indirectly that the point of origin is India.
For us practitioners of Japanese martial arts our Acala Vidya is Fudo Myoo.

I don't know enough about Indian martial history to comment further except to say that I do know it all started somewhere in that region and that yoga was originally an art designed for the warriors.

The other day I was amused by a fellow on the internet who was ranting that Buddhism really came from India and I was amused that people did not take that for granted. What do I know?

Here is Dan's website that highlights much of what he spoke about.
http://www.bodyworkseminars.org/

We really haven't talked about breathwork that much here on the forum. I hesitate to speak on this subject because it seems that the people who really know about this topic avoid talking about it. Everything I have read in the public domain seems superficial at best and in my opinion the more important components are always missing. And again parts of breath work is usually considered an advanced secret concept in many of the Japanese koryu because it gives the adept the ability to fight with longer duration and with more power. Much of what I have learned from people I respect I never see written in print. I don't think its an accident. Its goes back to a conversation I had with my teacher when I asked him why most of the important stuff I have been taught by him is not written down anywhere for reference and he responded that this was all 'kuden' meaning that it is information that is transmitted from teacher to student orally and not verbally. (Kuden does not necessarily mean secret. It means oral transmission.) He then told me that explaining stuff before people are ready is an exercise in futility. But I would love to hear what you and others have to say about breath work because I do believe it is one of the keys to developing true power.
Bob Nash