Wado Myths

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gusei21

Re: Wado Myths

Post by Gusei21 »

I think I know the roots of that excessive bowing.
In WKF competition the competitors bow before they enter the ring.
Then they have to bow at the line to their opponent otherwise the referee will force you to bow.
The first bow was originally meant for the mat. Sort of like bowing before you enter the dojo.
The second bow was to your opponent. (and sometimes a third to the referee if you felt so inclined.).

I think this is the telephone game again...

It is the fault of the people who wrote the rule book....because we never explained it....we just told them what to do so....
And I guess that goes along with everything else. If they get the bowing confused then imagine what they do to the kata after several generations of being in the dark...
Bob Nash
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

That's how I understood it as in bowing as you enter the mat and then bowing to the opponent. There was no requirement to bow to the referee. It was even worse them there was a referee and a judge on the mat then then people would end up doing three bows in one sweeping nodding motion.

Also, win or lose, and before your team mates run onto the mat because you have won the decider, is to bow to the opponent at the end.
oneya

Post by oneya »

So, if we add the penguin flapping bow and the Belgrade yoi to the Rei pandemic at tournaments we arrive at Gary's performance based showtime to impress the officials and various suits who wrote the menu but didn't prepare the meal..??

And people think this is wado ryu..??

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

Gusei21 wrote: The first bow was originally meant for the mat.
HI Gusei21, good to see you back here. Your new nick and writing style gave you away immediately ;).
Anyway... what do they think the first bow is for then? Or do they just bow because of bowing?

@Oneya
I guess their idea of Wadoryu is having the dove above the door on on their website?

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
oneya

Post by oneya »

WadoAJ wrote:
HI Gusei21, good to see you back here. Your new nick and writing style gave you away immediately ;).
Anyway... what do they think the first bow is for then? Or do they just bow because of bowing?

@Oneya
I guess their idea of Wadoryu is having the dove above the door on on their website?

AJ

An old koan says:" Even a Dove will take a dump sometimes.."

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
karateman7

Post by karateman7 »

oneya wrote:
karateman7 wrote:
wadoka wrote:karateman7, open source of information - I like that.

I think it is true that we can say 'Those who want to see the light will see it.' But as some of us have on various forums, tried to give some light, there are those that have invested so much who won't try and look, there are those won't believe and who is to say that any of us have any answers for others. It can be a fruitless exercise at times.
I totally understand this. This is why I appreciate the people who stick with it.

As for the open source of information, it's either that or threads like "Who would win in a fite (sic) Jiro Otsuka or Sazuki (sic)." :))

I think we're reasonably safe from this kind of Youtube detritus washing up here karateman7,but it has occurred to me that: even with the best will in the world, the parlous state of some now ingrained 4th & 5th generational miss-understandings and wado lite teachings, the most we can realistically offer is another myth that a forum’s smörgåsbord of wado ryu titbits alongside a trickle of good intentioned seminars can cure anyone's wado ills.

oneya
Well said.
Sergio Phillipe
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

WadoAJ wrote:

They see that everyone is bowing twice so they just bow twice.
Who are they to question authority?.... I guess..
Monty Python's Life of Brian....
Bob Nash