First Competition in 11 years

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
shaun

First Competition in 11 years

Post by shaun »

Hi all,

I'm entering a wado closed competition in a few weeks, just in the kumite and not the kata section. Its the first competition I've entered or even attended for around 11 years. I've been out of the game and only started back training about 6 month ago, anyway I was just wondering what you guys think might have changed over that period of time, I've read the WKF rules so I'm aware of the changes to mitts and leg pads etc and that wazari's are a thing of the past, but what else might have changed.

for example I've been watching a few fights on YouTube and I seem to have noticed more take downs, not just ashi bari but things like osoto gari, however that might not be the case in the majority of competitions, or any techniques that seem to be favoured by the referee's, or anything that might be of general interest.

I'd really appreciate your views and input

Thanks

Shaun
Shaun Scholey
wadoka
Site Admin

Re: First Competition in 11 years

Post by wadoka »

Shaun, please edit signature to show your full name.
shaun

Post by shaun »

I've up dated it Gordon

Thanks
Shaun Scholey
kato

Post by kato »

Hi Shaun,

Kumite is still about controlling distance and angle of attack. In local and national competitions the fighting has not changed much from 10 years ago. (But in the top international competitions like the world championships there has been a lot of changes in tactics and techniques.)

Be prepared to see a lot of jodan punches. In the new WKF rules no penalty points are given for hard contact so I expect relatively more jodan punches in most competitions compared to 10 years ago. Punches give 1 point, chudan kicks 2 points and andvanced techniques (jodan kicks, sweeping, takedowns) 3 points. Most sweeps and takedowns like o soto gari happens either from clinch, in the end of a combination or as a counter attack (timing). The same with jodan kicks, they score either in the end of a combination, from clinch or as a counter attack (timing).

- Changes at international level that I have noticed:
I think that both attacker and defender are moving more when an attack happens (long combinations or backing fast). Also many fighters move their upper body like boxers do to avoid jodan punches. More kicking and sweeping from clinch. The fighters are also more concered about having good balance all the time. More timing/counterattack with kicks and sweeps (10-15 years ago most counterattacks were gyauzuki chudan). More attacks with combination of jodan punches.

- Some advice:
Do not worry too much about takedowns or other advanced tecniques in your first competition in 11 years. Moving and timing are more important than technique. When you attack make sure that your back foot follows quickly (If your stance become too long your combinations will be too slow). Try to keep your stance same length all the time. If you would like to score with jodan kicks or sweeps try to punch jodan first. (If you try to connect with a jodan punch your opponent will not see the start of your next techinque). Try to fight and move like you are only using punches and then add a few favourite combinations. As a general rule: Try to hit with all techniques in a combination. A common mistake is to not move enough in with the first punch.

Youtube:
1. Aghayev in Paris Open (notice WHEN he sweeps)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKcE0rivThw

2. Upper body movements: Lefevre teaching
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbTV8Zd ... ure=relmfu

3. Stance when attacking (notice back leg movement and balance): Aghayev training
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg_VDGNHPGY

4. Movement and timing during fight: Tom Scott (Wado):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... Kz5k1JnbSs

I wish you good luck in your competition and hope that you will enjoy it a lot!
Cato Bruar
Wado International Karate-Do Federation (WIKF)
shaun

Post by shaun »

Thanks kato that's some really sound advice, and some great links. I especially like the clip showing the upper body movement. The clip showing the back leg movement was also a good one, I sometimes tend to leave my back leg behind too much when I attack, my sensei describes it as being like dragging and anchor., ha ha

Shaun
Shaun Scholey
BenjaminTaylor

Post by BenjaminTaylor »

Video very really good,but specially the clip showing the back leg movement was very good.