How long are your lessons?

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

How long are your lessons?

Post by wadoka »

And how much do you actually get through.

My lesson was 90 minutes tonight but got there slightly late and did a short warm up with the aim of doing other things as warm up/preparatory exercise.

So I drilled people on moving from shizentai/yoi into hidari gamae and then sonobade ippon toru, thinking I could kill several birds with one stone.... if you know what I mean. Did four directional gyakuzuki, a bit like 'unsu' just to get people moving. Junzuki then gyakuzuki. Leg exercises and then a few sets of kicks. Bang, finished.

How does anyone get a full lesson in these days? Whatever a full lesson is.
omote

Re: How long are your lessons?

Post by omote »

We do 90 mins as well.

When I was younger I used to teach for 60 mins and think, "Wow, I've run through my lesson plan in 45 mins, what do I do now." Now, I am barely through ido logon, and time is up.

Realistically, 15 mins of physical warm up, 20-30 mind of Winona & ido kihon. Then 45 mins of one thing. Done.

We need more time.

Jay
Jay Boatright
Florida, USA
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

90 mins.
Tonight; 20 mins warm up inc. ukemi. Split; one group working through a syllabus run through, higher grades working Sanbon Gumite and Kihon 1 & 2. Whole group drills on ashi barai and working kumite coming off the line, then 20 mins kumite.
Not the same format every session, just roll it round on an informal carousel.

Tim Shaw
Essex UK
Gary

Post by Gary »

90 mins also (although we are lucky, as we have the keys to the hall, so if we want to drill down into stuff for a while after it's not a problem).

We do warm ups (about 10 mins) - but to be fair, I expect the seniors to turn up early and do most of that themselves.

Today we did about 40 mins of Kihon (including renraku waza).

We did Pinan Nidan as group then we separated and taught Seishan to the brown belts / dan grades and Pinan Nidan again to the lower grades.

Then we all had a fight.

Then we all went to the pub...

Happy days. lol

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
Gary

Post by Gary »

omote wrote: "Wow, I've run through my lesson plan in 45 mins, what do I do now." Now, I am barely through ido logon, and time is up.

Realistically, 15 mins of physical warm up, 20-30 mind of Winona & ido kihon. Then 45 mins of one thing. Done.

We need more time.

Jay
I'm hoping this is a predictive text thing going on here - otherwise I've got some new Nihongo to consider.
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
oneya

Post by oneya »

Two hours with two or three short moments of watering (I mean a sip of water short) . Warm up in their own time in the 30 minutes scheduled prior to seiza because these guys are long term felons and walk away hungry.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadopaul

Post by wadopaul »

90-120 mins depending what day / location it is. When working on a team kata, 3 hours but thats more technical, not physically punishing.
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

We do 60 minutes for kids (long enough). For adults there's a session of 60 minutes and 90 minutes (never long enough). And at the moment I train 30 minutes each morning by myself, which is warming up, kata, kihon and stretching all rolled in one.

So I tend to work with what I have. The 60 minute training is different from the 90 minutes training because it's another timespan. But personally, I prefer Reg's way: training at least a few hours at a time.
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
shep

Post by shep »

90 mins - lower grades will get a 10-15 min warm up - higher grades tend to get to their session 10 mins early and warm themselves up, usually get a 5 min warm down at the end

shep
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

Gary wrote:
omote wrote: "Wow, I've run through my lesson plan in 45 mins, what do I do now." Now, I am barely through ido logon, and time is up.

We need more time.

Jay
I'm hoping this is a predictive text thing going on here - otherwise I've got some new Nihongo to consider.
Is it Cockney rhyming slang?

Tim Shaw
Essex
UK