A funny

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Tim49

Re: A funny

Post by Tim49 »

Ah, ‘bubble theory’.
In lots of ways you are correct Bob. In organising courses I have always gone out of my way to make contacts and send out invites to all in my area, with some success but really some of those ‘bubbles’ have developed non-permeable membranes.

I find this remarkable really, especially with what is available on the Internet. I suppose it’s even more shocking for Americans who are stunned that some Brits won’t travel if the road journey is longer than an hour! One of the venues we have been using for our local open courses is actually the home venue for one, maybe two Wado clubs and despite invites they still won’t support an event even in their own Dojo! How weird is that? (maybe we smell?).

As for me; until recently I have been getting in some extra training visiting the Dojo of a friend who is not part of my group and runs a different syllabus, and I will be visiting and training at a UKKW Dojo next Wednesday.

Igor, I will be in Holland assisting on a course in September.

Tim Shaw
Essex
UK
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I'm not sure why anybody would know my name unless from one or two forums, and as the person posting association course photos for everyone to see.

Not sure why they would seek me out neither.

I used to travel a heck of a lot more and train every month with various sensei. Really enjoyed it and benefited from it. Times change, economics change but I still do what I can.
shep

Post by shep »

I'm happy to train wherever and with whoever. I also trained at the same UKKW dojo a couple of weeks ago that Tim mentions - Its 100 miles from my house. It took over 2 1/2 hours to get there, through shit weather, road works, traffic Jams and I also got a parking ticket. It also took a big chunk out of my weekly wage for petrol (we are still ripped off over here) Maybe 100 miles on a freeway is easy, it can sometimes be a bit more of a challenge here. But when your partner complains about becoming a karate widow there are times when I have to slow down a little. Which unfortunately Bob is why I missed your course in Worcester a couple of weeks ago - I didnt know about it in time. One of my friends was there and she thoroughly enjoyed - maybe next time.

shep
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

Tim wrote:
At Martijn Schelen's place? I suppose?
I'll try to make it, though I didn't see any announcement yet. Ironically, I'll be in the UK around that time, so I'm not sure if I can squeeze it into my schedule. But it would be great to meet you there.
Martijn is one of the people who is definitely prepared to step outside his bubble. I run accross him quite frequently at various events.
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

kyudo wrote:Tim wrote:
At Martijn Schelen's place? I suppose?
I'll try to make it, though I didn't see any announcement yet. Ironically, I'll be in the UK around that time, so I'm not sure if I can squeeze it into my schedule. But it would be great to meet you there.
Martijn is one of the people who is definitely prepared to step outside his bubble. I run accross him quite frequently at various events.
There is a flyer for the course in September on this page:
http://www.shikukai.co.uk/courses.htm

Tim Shaw
Essex
UK
oneya

Post by oneya »

Well it looks like you lot are not the bubble people Bob is talking about then, that's good to know but don't wait for a seminar to train at San no Ya dojo... Our dojo doors are always open...

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
shep

Post by shep »

oneya wrote:Well it looks like you lot are not the bubble people Bob is talking about then, that's good to know but don't wait for a seminar to train at San no Ya dojo... Our dojo doors are always open...

oneya
I look forward to that day Reg

shep
steveig

Post by steveig »

oneya wrote:Well it looks like you lot are not the bubble people Bob is talking about then, that's good to know but don't wait for a seminar to train at San no Ya dojo... Our dojo doors are always open...

oneya
I would love to take a few weeks out and come over, maybe one day.
Steve Greenwood.
www.chezvalade.com
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Hi guys,

What is UKKW?

What Tim said about people not attending courses in their OWN dojo makes me upset.
Why would you not want to train with Tim and his gang? Seriously. What is wrong with those people?
Jamie Jewell is hosting Takagi Sensei in Southampton in September 15th 16th and he is having problems getting people to show up because senior Wadokai instructors in the area are telling their students to stay away. Pathetic. Why? Guessing but maybe they don't want their students to spend money on a course that does not put money into THEIR pockets? Or perhaps they are afraid to have their students see someone better than them?
And these are senior Wadokai people in England. What a joke. They should quit. Takagi Sensei is the chairman of the Wadokai Technical committee for crying out loud. Local Wadokai people ought to be required to be in attendance. And in my heavily biased opinion the best Wado man on the planet. And these dumbasses have the nerve to act this way? If your instructor tells you not to attend any event then question their motives. Question their courage. They are afraid. Or they are only concerned about their financial gain/loss.
This event is not exclusive to the Wadokai. All Wado people are invited regardless of affiliation. Norma Foster will be there too. She is also excellent.
I attend anyone's seminar. If Shiomitsu Sensei is around I go. I attended Suzuki Sensei's seminar even after the WIKF was created. What do I care? We were all together at one time. I even went to see Shintani...but that was for a different reason. I needed to check out the charlatan for myself.

Tim doing a seminar in another Wado dojo and those members not showing up is ridiculous.
Takagi Sensei teaching in Southampton and the other Wadokai instructors discouraging their students not to attend is disgustingly pathetic.
Bob Nash
shep

Post by shep »

UKKW = United kingdom karatedo Wadokai - Its the original Wado organisation in the UK and use to be UKKF from the 60's. Sensei Dave Allsop is still at the helm.

Question - who are these senior Wadokai Sensei's who forbid their students attending these courses. I have never been stopped from attending anything.

shep