Great book

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
go rin no sho

Re: Great book

Post by go rin no sho »

Hi Gordon,

You may be right,

I was reading otsuka' s book about chinto's movement nr. 12 (shuto jodan defense)

On the page 329 he says: "also the actions to the left and to the right must be executed at the same time, lest following movements may suffer. Originally this was propably not the case, but it is now so due to time,erred transmission of movement and simply - mistakes "
J.Petrelius
www.joenmawashi.fi
oneya

Post by oneya »

go rin no sho wrote:Hi Gordon,

You may be right,

I was reading otsuka' s book about chinto's movement nr. 12 (shuto jodan defense)

On the page 329 he says: "also the actions to the left and to the right must be executed at the same time, lest following movements may suffer. Originally this was propably not the case, but it is now so due to time,erred transmission of movement and simply - mistakes "
Hi Jussie,

Some credible doubt about the actual translation for the book has already been noted here on this forum because the translator Shingo Ishida is not a martial artists let alone a wado ryu practitioner so this little 'squirmy' bit
" but it is now so due to time"
might need to be considered in the light of one's own empiric understanding and analysis of the particular kata movement. I would probably see this comment as relating more to "timing' of this particular stage of the kata rather than the ambiguity laden use of 'time' where the translation did not quite catch the essence of the language or the essence of the Chinto kata either.

And:
- erred transmission of movement and simply - mistakes
might just speak more of one's own petard.?

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Gordon

Your tobikomizuki comment is a great segway for me to share my thoughts on this stuff.
See you in the kihon section. :)
Bob Nash
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

I might be confusing a few people with my hikite comment so let my say it another way.
There are many uses for the opposite hand.
But you will only be able to use it to its fullest only if you can free it from the opposite hand.
Most people use their hikite for power generation so it is rendered useless for other functions.
Using hikite for power generation should be a choice not a requirement.
Choice means you can use it for power or for pulling the opponent in or for blocking or for getting your wedgie out.
But it is a choice.
And you can only do that if you know how to utilize other body bits to aid in your power generation.
Body bits = body in Wadoese.
So if you are an advanced black belt who is still using your hikite for power generation then I am telling you that it is time for an upgrade so you can move on to cooler stuff like Wado?
Bob Nash