Shiai kumite rules

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

Shiai kumite rules

Post by wadoka »

I've just seen the rules for a forthcoming competition within our association in Portugal and am pleasantly surprised by the following change. Those used to the standard WKF rules may not be too happy but hopefully they can adapt.

Basic, the match is shobu sanbon. All techniques are worth ippon, even jodan kicks. But..... nagashi tsuki jodan is worth nihon.

Don't know where scoprion kicks fit in :-) but that changes the focus a little.

This isn't going to make any ripples in the general world of shiai kumite, but at least someone is trying to do something different.
Greg

Re: Shiai kumite rules

Post by Greg »

I've just had one of those slap-myself-on-the-forehead moments. I've been saying to my kids for years that this is how it should be done, but in dojo shiai matches I've always followed WKF rules on the basis that this is how they have to do it in competitions. But, of course...who cares? If one is going to give points for techniques, might as well do it right. This is how it should be and that's all there is to it. I would suggest nagashi chudan zuki should also get nihon.

Best,
Greg
wadoka
Site Admin

Re: Shiai kumite rules

Post by wadoka »

I think it is a nice test of the competitors as well, to see if they can adapt. It's only for one weekend and they can return to their WKF rules afterwards.

This would suit the likes of Eugene Codrington to a tee.