Shodan Stories

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Kuroi Tsubasa

Shodan Stories

Post by Kuroi Tsubasa »

With my shodan test looming in the near future. It would be really interesting to hear from all the black belts here
So could I know a bit about yourself?

-how and why did you start off with the discipline? (Wado in this case)
-What was your shodan test like?
-Did your purpose and aim change en route to shodan as opposed to when you had started out?
-And what all qualities do you wish to see in a black belt?
Prajit
kyudo

Re: Shodan Stories

Post by kyudo »

The shodan test is a huge thing when you're about to take it. And it's no big deal once you've passed it.

That's pretty much all I can say about it without writing a full autobiography.
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
T. Kimura

Post by T. Kimura »

It was in 1973. I did three kata, two of which they told me to do, and one was my choice. I selected Bassai. I had to perform the first four or five kihon kumite. There was some free kumite--I think we each had to face three people. We had to demonstrate irimi. It is true that it seems like a big deal before and much less with each passing year. I was 17, almost 18 years old. Just keep your original black belt and never give it to a student. I often wish I had mine now. Good luck on your test. I am sure you will do just fine.
All Blessings, C. Tak Kimura
oneya

Post by oneya »

Hi Wings, judging from your intro posting:
I left martial arts around 2006 for studies having secured 4th degree Black in Taekwondo, 2nd Degree in Kyokushin and 1st Kyu in Goju Ryu (I went back a few months back and got my shodan)
Then again in 2009 after joining university I found out about the university Wado-Kai Club.
I started again from a white and currently am on 1st Kyu (I have my Shodan test in July)
You probably have more experience with beginnings and shodan exam than most around here so I wonder about your request for more war stories.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Kuroi Tsubasa

Post by Kuroi Tsubasa »

I love stories about Dan gradings Oneya sensei
Not that kyus aint important

Everytime I gave a Dan test I was pushed to my limits in different ways and everytime I had learned a bit more about me
I would go back to the particular dojo after my shodan or poom and feel like a white belt all over again
I am planning on making this my last shodan
Unless I find a Judo or Jujitsu school where ever it is that I would be going to next for my masters program
Then on with the white belts again :D
Prajit
oneya

Post by oneya »

Yes, if I could know then what I know now; it is a moment that I would like to re-visit.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com