My first year back!

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
dangars

My first year back!

Post by dangars »

Afternoon,
As some of you may know I had a rather long inforced break from training, its just been pointed out to me that I have been back for about 14 months and what can I say.

Well there has been some changes in some techniques that we practice nothing major though. Amazingly I have managed to re-learn all the pinan kata's which I acheived in in 6 months Sensei gave a pat on the back for that.

I have made some new friends along the way who have been very supportive especially when my brain has a major mis-function.

One thing I have noticed is my balance ain't what it use to be I'm often nearly falling over when doing Ushigeri but this is improving.

I'm enjoying the ohyo kumite, which was one of my stronger points.

Sensei has nagged me to death about my stances but these are getting better, infact my third lesson back my stance was to wide on kette-junzuki after the kick and I got told "you should know better", which surprised me a bit. I have also trained with my Sensei's Sensei which was very enjoyable.

As I am always early enough to help with the cadets I've become use to being beaten up by Sensei aswell.

My wife has now caught the Wado bug after i suggested she come have a go at it, apparently according to several instructors she a bit of a natural at it and they seemed quite shocked that she has never done any form of marshall arts before.

I have also seen alot of students from other karate disapline's come and go which is a shame as it's always nice to see the differences in each Style.

I am currently training for my first grading in 11 years and I will admit I'm get quite nervous about.

Overall I am extremely happy that I came back as i did miss it and to say i am enjoying it is an understatement.

The only downside is Sensei is unable to teach us anymore as he has a new job that means he can not get to the Dojo early enough, so I would like to thank Sensei for the past 19 years of Friendship, Guidance and support. He will be missed by us all and I wish all the best with his new job and hope to see you soon at the upcoming course. We are also looking forward to Training with our new instructor Sensei Wilkinson who is taking over the club.
Kuroi Tsubasa

Re: My first year back!

Post by Kuroi Tsubasa »

I guess I know the feeling
I had been off for 4 years after about 10 years of training and when I came back I was shocked to see how I was unable to do stuffs that I had earlier done with ease
Luckily my basics were intact (which led me through some of the initial belts easily) but then again I would be telling some of the guys about a 720 kick or 540 kick and when I went on to perform it I would be shocked to find out I couldn't do it anymore.
3 years down the line I won't say I have achieved the form that I had 7 years back but with more experience and maturity in my stride I know that I am a better fighter.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors
Prajit
dangars

Post by dangars »

Hello all,

I thought I'd let you know that today I attended a course which I didn't intend to grade as i didn't think I was ready. After being encouraged by several others who said I should at least have a go to see where my karate was. Any way I agreed to this and to my surprise I passed! Training tomorrow night as a purple belt for the first time, to say I'm chuffed with myself is understatement!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Well done fella!
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/