New WadoPedia section

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
wadoka
Site Admin

Re: New WadoPedia section

Post by wadoka »

Where there is a way, there is Wado.
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

Further to DKC comments on the reasons for not engaging in open courses:

Confession time.
I have in the past trained with someone outside of the WKF approved list. In fact I have trained with people outside of karate (I even went fishing once with some none WKF members)!

I realise that having confessed this on an open forum that my time is now limited. I expect that any time now my door will be broken down by anonymous hired goons and I will be hauled away with a bag over my head, to find myself in a stark room tied to a chair with red tape and be beaten around the head with a rolled up copy of the WKF statutes.

Tim
Normanski

Post by Normanski »

Hi, I must have read DKC's comments wrongly. I thought he was talking about posting on this forum, not open courses or what courses were available in his area. I thought the point he was making was that sometimes when a more junior grade asks a question that is seen as obvious by some of the more senior grades they can be shot down rather than gently nudged in the right direction.
Damon Little.
oneya

Post by oneya »

Hi dkc,

As long as you have raised this subject yet again I feel I should reply: but first I’d like to raise the notion of ‘hihyo’ for your consideration. You may already have experienced this or heard of it before but just in case that isn’t the case: in all Japanese martial arts, including the wado ryu, there is a concept called ‘Hihyo’ which can be loosely translated as 'constructive criticism' in English. It deals in part with the practice of 'avoidance' which is often implicit in much of the language we use and the behaviour we exhibit. If wado is about veracity then the truth of the matter can often lay with our own unconscious self exoneration and hihyo is a way of shedding the traps and manacles of language which then stops us from throwing rocks in our own path. It is necessary to understand that 'hihyo' is not a critique of one's self, it is a critique of what one is doing that often involves unconscious behaviour. Hihyo in Japanese martial arts is to help the student consider his behaviour so that he may redirect his energies whereas criticism, even constructive criticism, is often mistaken for a negative comment by western students.

I think one reason that you have felt some heat in the past - perhaps the only reason - is the foolish statement on your website that claims it is simply a matter of choice in the way wado ryu is practiced thus deceiving your students that what you do is acceptable in the broad church of wado practice. This is patently untrue. You are quite wrong in much of what you say on your website and all the bluster and injured innocence is just some self indulged justification that conveniently allows you to blame all and sundry for your own shortcomings. Your latest posts to this forum trumpets your contribution here as nothing more than a pickpocket or troll who, even as you admit this, wants to parlay a better reception for himself from the very people he wants to steal from. Obviously you do not yet understand a fundamental truth here. It is a truism that the member’s knowledge having been processed through his/her training can be said to have an intellectual copyright and while many here will share this with you I am certain there are many who resent being stolen from. It is also a truism that everyone else here that practices Wado ryu has had to bite the bullet on a few or many occasions in order to learn. This is the way of wado ryu and martial arts in general because there is a wrong way and a right way to practice wado ryu, it is not a matter of likes and dislikes. Currently we are fortunate that we have three broad streams of practice in the world that offer enough difference to allow for individual preferences plus a plethora of very good private dojo that can provide for the individual but they are dojo, not shops or market places when you can buy a product. If, as many here are advising - you can manage to spit out your ego and get some good instruction then perhaps you will have made a significant step forward towards understanding what the practice of wado ryu requires from you. Yes it will be difficult and yes it will be tiresome to shift from your inertia but the rewards are there and people are willing. One of the rewards will be respect for your efforts.

I understand you may not like or agree with what I have written but I can live with that. Then again perhaps you may consider what I have just written as an affront to your person in which case I can still live with that but you are still going to be a lost cause and will remain with the chaff in the wado harvest. However if you can consider this as a character building lesson in hihyo then you may just learn a valuable lesson which hopefully will stop you blaming everyone else but yourself.

Regards
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

Normanski wrote:Hi, I must have read DKC's comments wrongly. I thought he was talking about posting on this forum, not open courses or what courses were available in his area. I thought the point he was making was that sometimes when a more junior grade asks a question that is seen as obvious by some of the more senior grades they can be shot down rather than gently nudged in the right direction.
Hi Normanski,
Personally I have always found that the questions asked by more junior members have been answered with all due respect and politeness.

Tim
jacob

Post by jacob »

Tim49 wrote:
Normanski wrote:Hi, I must have read DKC's comments wrongly. I thought he was talking about posting on this forum, not open courses or what courses were available in his area. I thought the point he was making was that sometimes when a more junior grade asks a question that is seen as obvious by some of the more senior grades they can be shot down rather than gently nudged in the right direction.
Hi Normanski,
Personally I have always found that the questions asked by more junior members have been answered with all due respect and politeness.

Tim
I agree, I'm junior and all the questions I've asked on this forum have always been answered with respect and politness. And if I did give a opinion or asked a question and was "shot down" so ??? I would personally prefer that as I learn better when it's more direct rather than the gentley gentley I don't want to hurt your feelings approach.... However eveyone is different....
Normanski

Post by Normanski »

I've never had any problems. I thought that the question was being misunderstood and that it was going off on a tangent. I didn't realise that there was "history" regading DKC's previous posts. My mistake. Sorry.
Damon Little.
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

wadoka wrote:I was hoping when I said I'm Spartacus, that my signature info would now show up. Trying again.
Testing my signature.... :)
Bob Nash