One for the instructors!

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
dangars

One for the instructors!

Post by dangars »

Hello all hope you are well,
whilst practicing kihon geri at my last training session I was told that whilst performing Sokuto Chudan that I was kicking to far in front. I was told this with out any further explanation, as my sensei was unavailable to teach we had our chief instructor for this teach us, usualy I'm never corrected on this technique as its by far my best one. So if this makes sense can some please explain what he may have meant?
wadoka
Site Admin

Re: One for the instructors!

Post by wadoka »

Could you recover and do two kicks without falling forward?
dangars

Post by dangars »

Yeah when performing this I always make sure I lock my leg up when it's fully extended and then pull back into position once the technique is completed into hidari hanmi gamae. No other instructor has said this to me before as i'm usualy told thats it's very sharp and well excuted! Just thought he would have explained a bit more.
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

I wonder if it's an over-rotation issue.
Some people can get away with a very big rotation, but when other people try it, although the extension works, the recovery is forced, making the whole move break down in to too many parts.

Without seeing it it is difficult to comment.

Tim
dangars

Post by dangars »

My sensei is back Monday so maybe he will be able to explain just couldn't understand what he meant by this! but like I say I'm usually told it's very sharp!
dangars

Post by dangars »

Spoke to my sensei last week and he watched me performing this, he said even though I was doing it fine in front of him when I was doing it in front of our chief instructor I may been putting more into it causing me to over extend! I know I use to do a swinging action this time last year but since being back nearly a year I seem to have got back into it better than i expected.