experiences in other MA dojos

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
shep

Re: experiences in other MA dojos

Post by shep »

acer

You seem to be really into this 'my style is better than your style' crap. I dont know what your martial art is (BJJ, MMA??) I dont really care to be honest. Mines Wado thats what I train in and thats what I like. If I wanted to do anything else I would. There are plenty of those type of clubs near me. Over the years, I've fought Kung Fu guys, Tang soo Do guys and Judo guys, and because of the industry I use to be in I really have had more 'real' fights than you will have had play ones in the dojo, (you know real fight with no ref!) thats not bragging but you asked the question before and I answered you honestly. All you have done is ridicule and pour scorn on the art we all practice and I'm honestly bored with you and your shallow attempt at humour that obviously satisfies the child in you. I have no interest whatsoever in attending a BJJ club and fighting anyone white belt or black belt in an attempt to satisfy anyones curiosity.

shep
Last edited by shep on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

Acer,

A little anecdote:

Where I used to work there was a guy who worked in the maintenance department, he was wider than he was tall and he was from somewhere in the eastern end of the Mediterranean. When everything was quiet in the gap between shifts he would go out the back of the factory and do some weird exercises. I suspected he was some kind of fighter, so we got to talking. He was a devotee of a rare form of wrestling. As he knew I was a martial artist he suggested that we might try out our skills against each other. So at a convenient time we met up at the back of the factory. We stripped to our underwear (on his insistence) and began.

I have to admit he got the better of me quite early on and before I knew it I was bent double with one of his legs snaked around my hip and leg, his other leg was over the back of my neck and he had my one of my arms tucked right under his armpit, the other one was caught under his chin and my head was somewhere near his waist (I think), to anyone looking at us me must have appeared a mass of complex limbs twisted into bizarre contortions, it would have been difficult to see where he ended and I began. In this convoluted position, by a subtle rotation of his pelvis, a series of locks all came on at virtually the same time, I was in agony! And because I couldn’t tap out (I guess I must have been yelling but he didn’t seem to care) I felt like I was going to pass out, y’know the white lights like flashbulbs going off before your eyes. And then, I saw it,… there, dangling centimetres from my face I saw a penis and testicles!... So I did the only thing available to me, I bit it as hard as I could!

There was a scream, a flash of limbs as energy surged through me and suddenly it was all over, he was laying flat out on the deck and I was standing over him covered in blood…..

Yes it’s amazing what you can do when you bite your own tackle!

Tim
shep

Post by shep »

Terrific Tim!! :-O

shep
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Guys, in Wado we have the the mudana principles and I am getting to the point that we are drawn into wasting our energy on this repetative track. Use our own taisabaki and let it die out.

Acer, you seem to say that you have no connection with the acerwk mentioned in YouTube and a host of other forums where the same pattern of disruption occurs. The Greek connection and word patterns are too similar for my liking.

I assume acerwk stands for Acer Wado Kai and the acer_wr in your e-mail address stands for Acer Wado Ryu. All too much of a coincidence for me.

Remember I administer these forums using the forum software.
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

Tim49 wrote: Yes it’s amazing what you can do when you bite your own tackle!
LOL!

Sorry Wadoka, this is too good to let go. Tim reminds me...

Some idiot once tried to smash my face with a hammer for no particular reason. It was on a night out, and I wasn't exactly sober. So I wasn't able to taisabaki myself out of that situation in the proper way and he managed to actually hit my face. (Still have less feeling in the left side of my face) However, he didn't knock me out and I went after him to grab the hammer in order to prevent him doing more damage. At some point I got hold of the hammer, but he refused to let go. My rather inebriated brain could only come up with one solution...
I grabbed him by the private parts with my other hand and asked which of the two he was willing to let go. He choose to let go of the hammer…
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
oneya

Post by oneya »

Old Australian folk lore says: In rearing children and dogs it is advised not to reward bad behaviour or it will continue..

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
acer

Post by acer »

Acer, you seem to say that you have no connection with the acerwk mentioned in YouTube and a host of other forums where the same pattern of disruption occurs
Not the same person.The connection exist.
I assume acerwk stands for Acer Wado Kai and the acer_wr in your e-mail address stands for Acer Wado Ryu. All too much of a coincidence for me.
So what is Wado Kai or Wado ryu then?And what is the connection with Suzuki then?Im sorry you assume wrong.Nothing to do with that.Sorry I cant tell anything else.
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

As painful experiences go Tim; that has to be the worst I have read so far in my life.

I have had the good fortune of rarely having had to defend myself; I have posted about one of my few scrapes in another topic. A curious internal phenomena I have noted is how differently I feel between a real fight and a full contact sparring bout. When I have been in a street fight; I have felt raw anger, I just see red and fight as if it was me or him. In comparison when I went into my first knockdown style karate bout; all I felt was nervous and, to be honest, afraid.

I am not sure why that could be; based on the subjective experience I have postulated that it's because I have this unconscious arrogance that when I have been confronted by thugs, that my karate would carry me through because I am facing a weaker opponent then myself.

In contrast when I get on the mat with a fellow Karateka; I am facing someone who has dedicated as much time, and maybe more, to getting into competition shape. Despite the rules and the first aid staff present it’s still nerve wracking. Simply because I am staring down someone with the skill and physicality to really injure me, as they are aiming to do to win a full contact bout. Note I never had this feeling in kickboxing, I just wanted to get out there and win.

That is probably the strangest thing I have ever confronted in my life. I am afraid of real fights, don’t get me wrong, but I only feel it after it’s over. Until it’s done there is just a red rage.

Anyway that is the only insight I can hope to offer. For me at least; there is a real difference in the feeling between a real fight and a sparring match. Even if that sparring is as close to reality as possible the difference in feeling remains. At least for me; fighting is horrible and it's the last thing I'd ever want my karate to become all about.
R. Keith Williams
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

Wado heretic wrote: all I felt was nervous and, to be honest, afraid.
I am not sure why that could be; based on the subjective experience I have postulated that it's because I have this unconscious arrogance that when I have been confronted by thugs, that my karate would carry me through because I am facing a weaker opponent then myself.
Either that. Or it may be that in 'real life' (read: not on the tatami) there's a much stronger compulsion to do the things you do. It may have nothing to do with arrogance.
I, for one, have never been into competition much. One of the reasons is that I'm simply unable to take it seriously. I KNOW that it is a controlled situation where the contestants try to score points. And I lack the urge to win. I just don't care. And by lack of strong compulsion, I get nervous, and yes, sometimes afraid too.
However, I do have an extremely strong urge not to loose. Which is most definitely not the same as the urge to win. If someone tries to knock me out with a hammer, I have an extremely strong compulsion to prevent it. This, offcourse, is only human. The interesting thing is that fear plays no part anymore. As if compulsion takes the place that was first occupied by fear.

I guess you may just be showing your human side here. Nothing to feel embarrassed about.
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
majin29

Post by majin29 »

acer wrote:
Be very careful when you use the words Tai Sabaki;… the meaning is much wider than you think. (Acer’s comments about Tai Sabaki to me display his lack of understanding about what Tai Sabaki can encompass.)

If he knew what he was talking about he would have (a) defined his meaning, and, (b) not come to that particular conclusion.
I know what Tai Sabaki is but I also know that Meijin now starts his training so I use it just like he thinks it is so that we can understand each other.If you just look his answer you will know that is out of reality.Anyone with a little experience in spar with grapplers will now what is true and what is imagination.I mean ''knee the guy in the face'' ?
Everybody know that BJJ fighters are training how to close the distance and make the takedown without anyone can counter them so easily with knee empi etc...!!!!
That’s only show lack of experience that’s why I repeat :please spar with a white belt (its better for you?) and see what will happen...
Okay I must reiterate, I'm new to Wado, not new to martial arts. I've trained in various others styles over 30 years. I enjoy kumite and sparring for what it is- a way of refining the fundaments of the training I'm getting, I don't think for a second that I'm going to do Sanbon Jodan Uke if someone throws a punch at me. Well, I might use part of it but that's not the point. Speaking as a life time martial artist, Acer, you just don't seem to get the point of learning this stuff. You must remember the "art" as much as the "martial" part.
David Coscina