experiences in other MA dojos

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Tim49

Re: experiences in other MA dojos

Post by Tim49 »

I'm reluctant to mention this, but the footage of what happened in the 'Dojo' of 'Master' Bobby J. Blythe is hanging about on the Internet somewhere. This is just about as bad as it gets.

I am not going to put a link to it because I wouldn't befoul this forum with such an appalling example.

Tim
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

Tim49 wrote:I'm reluctant to mention this, but the footage of what happened in the 'Dojo' of 'Master' Bobby J. Blythe is hanging about on the Internet somewhere. This is just about as bad as it gets.
This case is all new to me. I looked it up (the video has been taken down from YouTube) but it sounds like this is one video on one needs to see.

There's another, more amusing case, regarding Wing Chun. A well known WC master was challenged to a fight during a seminar. When he declined, he got attacked anyway and didn't stand a chance. Here's the video:
http://youtu.be/szdF1nIAfpk
The master, William Cheung, claims his rather peculiar technique is the one and only real 'secret' wing chun. So someone called his bluff. He later claimed he never lost the fight, and if he did it was because he wore slippers.
:-)
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

kyudo wrote:
Tim49 wrote:I'm reluctant to mention this, but the footage of what happened in the 'Dojo' of 'Master' Bobby J. Blythe is hanging about on the Internet somewhere. This is just about as bad as it gets.
This case is all new to me. I looked it up (the video has been taken down from YouTube) but it sounds like this is one video on one needs to see.

There's another, more amusing case, regarding Wing Chun. A well known WC master was challenged to a fight during a seminar. When he declined, he got attacked anyway and didn't stand a chance. Here's the video:
The master, William Cheung, claims his rather peculiar technique is the one and only real 'secret' wing chun. So someone called his bluff. He later claimed he never lost the fight, and if he did it was because he wore slippers.
The WC clip has been around for a while, it is an embarassment for all parties.

The Bobby J Blythe clip is out there (but not on Youtube), I just watched it again and felt sick to my stomach.

Tim
acer

Post by acer »

May I ask what the alternative to training with straight punches is? I'm honestly asking not mocking
The answer is very simple....Drills not against straight punches only but hook punches low kicks with the shin and takedowns just like grapplers do...(Yes yes I know I said something different I m troll now)
acer

Wing Chun is a fighting system built on the principle of only straight punches - shortest and most direct route possible to the target and 'rapid fire'. The chances of a Wing Chun practicioner using swings, hooks and uppercuts would be more remote than the chances of you understanding the princples of Wado, it would seem.

WC is a style with no sparring what more I can say?They think that they are so deadly that cannot spar!The practitioners of WC talk to much...Way to much... For me its just full of…you know and nothing to do with the reality...
steveig

Post by steveig »

Tim49 wrote:
kyudo wrote:

The WC clip has been around for a while, it is an embarassment for all parties.

The Bobby J Blythe clip is out there (but not on Youtube), I just watched it again and felt sick to my stomach.

Tim
Sick indeed Tim,its hard to comprehend this has happened in real life.
Steve Greenwood.
www.chezvalade.com
karateman7

Post by karateman7 »

acer wrote:
May I ask what the alternative to training with straight punches is? I'm honestly asking not mocking
The answer is very simple....Drills not against straight punches only but hook punches low kicks with the shin and takedowns just like grapplers do...(Yes yes I know I said something different I m troll now)
acer

Wing Chun is a fighting system built on the principle of only straight punches - shortest and most direct route possible to the target and 'rapid fire'. The chances of a Wing Chun practicioner using swings, hooks and uppercuts would be more remote than the chances of you understanding the princples of Wado, it would seem.

WC is a style with no sparring what more I can say?They think that they are so deadly that cannot spar!The practitioners of WC talk to much...Way to much... For me its just full of…you know and nothing to do with the reality...
Ahhh, I see. I agree-- if you want to be that particular type of fighter. But in the end, you don't go looking for pizza at a Chinese restaurant. Maybe you should start a thread. It'd be an interesting topic to focus on than discuss throughout other threads, so people like me can get the whole picture.
Sergio Phillipe
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Pizza in a Chinese restaurant? Now that is topic drift.
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

Of the incident involving Bobby J. Blythe and that video; it's a highlight of the worst excesses of ego that can happen in the martial arts and the violence that can spiral from it. It's a disturbing watch and I'd not recommend viewing it unless you have a strong stomach.

Such incidences are out of the blue really; I have only had that one awful experiance and it came from ego. The BJJ guys wanted to one up the karate guy and it turned into something it needn't have been. Thankfully most martial artists are aware there is no one true way or that invincibility is a pipe dream; those are the people I find that tend to get the most joy out of training. They just get on with it and enjoy it for what it is.
R. Keith Williams
acer

Post by acer »

Ahhh, I see. I agree-- if you want to be that particular type of fighter. But in the end, you don't go looking for pizza at a Chinese restaurant. Maybe you should start a thread. It'd be an interesting topic to focus on than discuss throughout other threads, so people like me can get the whole picture.
I don’t think it will be very interesting ...The majority of the forum believes that train only against straight punches and not in different drills it will help you with some ''mystical way' to handle hook punches from boxers,take downs from grapplers and low shin kicks from Thai/kickboxers....!!!
Some of them train against those attacks without knowing(!) how they performed correctly (the attacks) but just guessing(!) how for example grapplers close the distance....!!!! In that way they train in wrong attacks and wrong defences.That is more dangerous.... And they keep laughing and make jokes on that..What more need to say...
oneya

Post by oneya »

acer wrote:
I don’t think it will be very interesting ...The majority of the forum believes that train only against straight punches and not in different drills it will help you with some ''mystical way' to handle hook punches from boxers,take downs from grapplers and low shin kicks from Thai/kickboxers....!!!

Some of them train against those attacks without knowing(!) how they performed correctly (the attacks) but just guessing(!) how for example grapplers close the distance....!!!! In that way they train in wrong attacks and wrong defences.That is more dangerous.... And they keep laughing and make jokes on that..What more need to say...
Acer, perhaps people are just happy with their wado cause it takes a lifetime -- instead of wastes a lifetime.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com