Meotode

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
oneya

Re: Meotode

Post by oneya »

shep wrote:...and even more impressive! Thats what I'm working towards - got some way to go yet though

shep
Ah well, you're not alone Shep, there's a big bunch of stragglers strolling along the wado road, at least you have Frank.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
shep

Post by shep »

I know, I'm certainly very lucky

shep
acer

Post by acer »

Yes its always easier to make a joke something that deep inside we know its true.I wonder how many of you they were in a real fight in their life..Or even a free spar with a different style practitioner...
shep

Post by shep »

acer wrote:Yes its always easier to make a joke something that deep inside we know its true.I wonder how many of you they were in a real fight in their life..Or even a free spar with a different style practitioner...
I will put my hand up and say I've had more than I care to remember, from scuffles to full on fights and back to scuffles, how about you acer?

I think you might be in danger of topic drift so I will leave it to you whether or not you start a new thread. Personally your boring me now.

shep
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

I have never lost a real fight and I've been in a handful but I don't like talking about it.

You know Acer; I have a suggestion, why not take up Pankration?

The ancient greeks used it to beat up cantaurs, it must be the greatest martial art out there. I know hooks are scary; but horsepeople? Whole different level.

However; to a serious point on the ancient martial arts of Greece.

Anyone else find that lunging action oddly familiar? Also note how the second hand is in a position ready to defend or strike as we see in the modern variation of Me-oto-de. Although again not entirely connected to Karate it is interesting to have a look through the archeological evidence and to see what has survived. It seems their are some fundemental truths to fighting that have survived the test of time.

I also found a definition of it that works better then the one I posted earlier;
Maximizing the possibilities of successfully landing the first shot (following it up with a flurry of more shots) while minimizing the amount of openings presented to an opponent by continuously occupying the centerline.

Now I have watched the video again and again and I am going to say it; I am not seeing what I would Me-oto-de in it. He's probably approaching it in a way I am unfamiliar with and that's why I am missing it.
R. Keith Williams
oneya

Post by oneya »

Centaurs please heretic, not cantaurs.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

In that second photo, I have cautioned before against trying to make kuzushi by pushing off the ball of the foot and thrusting the knee that way, instead of being more grounded and dropping your weight where upon the knee will go in the direction of the front foot.

Even the striped Adidas gi is better than that one.
oneya

Post by oneya »

I thought he looked like a guy pulling a pint in a happy kitten bar..?

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

On the second image; It might not be technically correct to Wado Ryu and is an inferior way of moving. However it's a way of demonstrating a historical perspective, It is an ancient Greek statue showing that such techniques were employed in actual combat by the ancient Greek peoples. It is a curiousity but also one that demonstrates the truth that their are only so many ways to move the human body efficiently.

Back to the topic at hand or at least a relevant tangent; presenting Tsumaki Geri;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ1xJem1PSQ

This apparentely a common method of kicking on Okinawa, in certain circles, but a method that has seemingly dissappeared from Japanese and Western Karate. Like Me-oto-de the supposition is that it is not useful in point style competitions hence was dropped due to this. It is possibly more likely to do with the fact conditioning the toes to do such a technique is time consuming and beyond the means of the average person. What is everyone's take on this other peculiarity of original Karate?
R. Keith Williams
oneya

Post by oneya »

Wado heretic wrote:On the second image; It might not be technically correct to Wado Ryu and is an inferior way of moving. However it's a way of demonstrating a historical perspective, It is an ancient Greek statue showing that such techniques were employed in actual combat by the ancient Greek peoples.
Aww too precious heretic, it is the cant of the head on the prancing naked barkeep that brings the meotode intent in to question for me, not its origins.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.