Training

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Wado heretic

Training

Post by Wado heretic »

I did try and devise a more descriptive title but I failed miserably. I just wished to ask everyone how often they train and in which ways; and hopefully to give each other tips or useful guidance.

To get the ball rolling; I do four hours of training on Mondays, Tuesdays and Saturdays with an effort to do two hours on every other day, except sunday where I rest. If I can't do two hours I instead just do 20 minutes of basics. I also attend hour long lessons on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays with a further two and half hour lesson on Sundays. I also travel to our Hombu Dojo twice a month for further lessons.

For my two hour sessions I usually break them down into 20 minute blocks with short breaks inbetween. I find this works to help me maintain maximum focus on what I am doing. I usually start with a warm up followed by 20 repetitions of every single basic technique and then a combination around 12 times. After that I focus on a single technique for 20 minutes, so for example on friday it was left Junzuki I focused on. I then go through every Kata I know once each aside from naihanchi which I do twice, again over 20 minute segmants, and then for my last 20 minute segmant I work on a single kata.

For my four hour sessions I follow the same formula of twenty minute blocks. I again start with a similar warm up as to usual, however I instead do 40 repetitions of each technique and two combinations 15 times each. I then select one arm technique and one leg technique to work on; I do 20 minutes against the air followed by 20 minutes doing resistance training or against the heavy bag for both techniques. I then do Naihanchi and then each Kata three times; once slowly then a move at a time, but with full power, and then at the correct pace before ending with Naihanchi again. I then choose three Kata to work on specifically which I do so in 20 minute blocks. Finally I cool down by doing sanchin three times and then stretch out.

On top of this I do weights for an hour a day with a multitude of cardio based lessons; again beside on Sundays where I rest except for karate. If any one has any helpful comments on how I can improve this I'd be thankful.
R. Keith Williams
kyudo

Re: Training

Post by kyudo »

Let's see….
Four hours of training on mondays tuesdays and saturdays makes 12 hours.
Two hours on the other days except sunday adds another 6 hours.
One hour lessons on tuesday, thursday and saturday makes another 3 hours.
Add to that a 2.5 hour lesson on sunday.
Finally 1 hours of weights every day except sunday: 6 hours.

Together that makes close to 30 hours a week.
You have a admirable intensity of training. Though the last guy I met who trained this much wound up wrecking his body. So take care not to overdo it.

As for me, I hardly make 30 hours a week during a week long training camp. Let alone in a regular week. I have work to attend to. And a family….
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Wado heretic, are you a student at uni?
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

Yes, I am a Uni student at the moment Wadoka. Which I am thankful for as I am aiming to become a psychiatrist so I can retire early and live as a full time martial artist until I kick it.

Admittedly I don't always manage the 2 hour sessions, though I rarely miss a lesson or my 4 hour training days. I always find time to do 20 minutes of basics a day though.

I am preparing for my first dan and hopefully getting back into full contact competition next year, hence the intensity I am training at. I plan to level it out to more sensible levels once I have reached my probable peak. Once I am in top shape then it's a case of maintanence rather then improving performance as I am doing right now. I shall stick to the the four hour sessions and lessons along with the weights but I'll probably cut down on daily training.
R. Keith Williams
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Ah, the memories of being a student but I never fit get those hours in.

Learn from my mistake. Don't let the enthusiasm for karate derail your primary goal. Best of luck.
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

Yes; it is tricky to get on with work and no go training instead. I am easing myself into not training every day of the week sometimes to get on with more urgent work though, it's hard though. :P Thankfully I find psychology as facinating as karate so it's not as bad as it was when I was still in school.

Anyway; how does every one else train? Anything in my method people think could be improved for efficiency?
R. Keith Williams
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

Ah, University student THAT’S why you can put those hours in.

Like Wadoka I reckon we all went gung ho when we were in full time (higher) education. He’s right to say that it’s not a good idea to take your eye off the main priority. But also, at the age you are, you should be exploring your physical limits. But I say that with a word of caution. Be wary of what could end up as doing long term damage, or your training career will be short-lived, look at all those Shotokan boys who ended up having very premature hip replacements.

But, crucially, make sure you are getting good advice and guidance. All those repetitions could actually set you back rather than take you forwards. If your technique is not being regularly checked you could end up just reinforcing bad habits, then have the devil of a job undoing them.

Tim
oneya

Post by oneya »

Tim49 wrote:Ah, University student THAT’S why you can put those hours in.

Like Wadoka I reckon we all went gung ho when we were in full time (higher) education.

Tim
I have to spit me dummy out here cause the way I see *Tertiary* it's not necessarily 'higher' Tim, I've met some real nine dollar bills in tertiary - not all but some. The real understanding comes well after tertiary is left behind, bit like wado kyu grades I think. For my money life and the making of wisdom doesn't start until you're all alone in the big arena.

oneya

This has to be topic drift by now I think. Maybe we should have a thread entitled Topic Drift.
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
monkey mind

Post by monkey mind »

As for how often & in which way to train, I think it all depends on where you are in your life & what you're looking for in your training. In my Muay Thai days I used to train 3-5 hours per day, 5 days per week. When preparing for fight there were runs on top of that. It was good experience & I was definitely strong, but overall not what I'd call a balanced life. Now I have work, family and other activities that I need time for. Though I love my wado, I don't think of these other things as taking away from my training time (well, not usually). I think of all of them as adding to my life in general. Nowadays I do about 10 hours per week of formal training, but I'm also much more inclined to see how I can employ wado principles when I'm not specifically training. Things like the good old practicing tai sabaki while walking down a crowded street. Or just following my old tai chi teacher's advice to check in with myself throughout the day - see if I'm relaxed, if my posture is good, if my movements are natural and easy. This is the kind of training you can easily do 30-40 hours per week or more and never, no matter your age, have it wear you down.
Paul Cooper
JKI Wadokai Chiang Mai
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

oneya wrote:
Tim49 wrote:Ah, University student THAT’S why you can put those hours in.

Like Wadoka I reckon we all went gung ho when we were in full time (higher) education.

Tim
I have to spit me dummy out here cause the way I see *Tertiary* it's not necessarily 'higher' Tim, I've met some real nine dollar bills in tertiary - not all but some. The real understanding comes well after tertiary is left behind, bit like wado kyu grades I think. For my money life and the making of wisdom doesn't start until you're all alone in the big arena.

oneya

This has to be topic drift by now I think. Maybe we should have a thread entitled Topic Drift.
Just lazy use of language and definitions on my part.

Tim