What was Suzuki sensei like?

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
oneya

Re: What was Suzuki sensei like?

Post by oneya »

Well whoever Acer is, and there were a lot of these 'my dad is bigger than your dad' guys about in the kindergarten - but he's had his fifteen minutes of anonymous fame and reflected glory and I have fallen out of love with him/her now. - or at least until she matures a little.

oneya..
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

On these forums there are those that have heard first hand, seen first hand, from most of the instructors names mentioned.

They can tell us many things no doubt. With context. Not that they have to.
yabumi

Post by yabumi »

oneya wrote:...he's had his fifteen minutes of anonymous fame and reflected glory...

oneya..

Not to provide any further scope or continue this further but 'anonymous fame' what an odd thing to desire
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

http://www.wikf.com/mylife.htm

Nothing speaks more than the man's own words.

Sadly I only got to train under Suzuki Sensei once last year when I decided to travel down for the annual winter course he used to hold. I didn't really interact with him much but he corrected my Junzuki, and how he changed it, I shall never forget because it suddenly came together how I really should be doing Junzuki. So although he didn't have a massive impact he had an influence that sticks with me.

The impression I got of him, granted it was from a very short time on a course, was that of a highly perceptive and capable gentleman. Definetely the top Wado practioner I had ever witnessed in person, perhaps even the best karateka I have witnessed in person. Although no longer in his prime when I saw him, when he demonstrated techniques they remained technically sound, no sloppiness or frailness you'd expect and forgive for a man of his age. I just wish I'd got to see him in his prime as a technician before age began catching up, must have been incredible to see.
Last edited by Wado heretic on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R. Keith Williams
Tesshu

Post by Tesshu »

I'm a little lazy and ignorant of computers, so here's a link to the yahoo wadokarate forum article on the early years of Wado, an interview with Suzuki Sensei. You have to be a member of the group to get to the article.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AM61Tgb4up ... -FIA89.pdf
Michael Matthews
oneya

Post by oneya »

yabumi wrote:
oneya wrote:...he's had his fifteen minutes of anonymous fame and reflected glory...

oneya..

Not to provide any further scope or continue this further but 'anonymous fame' what an odd thing to desire
Yes, while the anonymity was thought to provide a Procrustean level of dialogue on the forum at first, it does seem to divert to a Rue d'Onan at times now. Maybe the anonymity needs to be reviewed.

oneya

oops..!
Last edited by oneya on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

oneya

Post by oneya »

Wado heretic wrote:http://www.wikf.com/mylife.htm

Nothing speaks more than the man's own words.

Sadly I only got to train under Sazuki Sensei once last year when I decided to travel down for the annual winter course he used to hold. I didn't really interact with him much but he corrected my Junzuki, and how he changed it, I shall never forget because it suddenly came together how I really should be doing Junzuki. So although he didn't have a massive impact he had an influence that sticks with me.

The impression I got of him, granted it was from a very short time on a course, was that of a highly perceptive and capable gentleman. Definetely the top Wado practioner I had ever witnessed in person, perhaps even the best karateka I have witnessed in person. Although no longer in his prime when I saw him, when he demonstrated techniques they remained technically sound, no sloppiness or frailness you'd expect and forgive for a man of his age. I just wish I'd got to see him in his prime as a technician before age began catching up, must have been incredible to see.

I agree "Nothing speaks more than the man's own words."

and

I think AJ is being very kind when he gently alluded to your remarks in the following statement young heretic:

" Although no longer in his prime when I saw him, when he demonstrated techniques they remained technically sound, no sloppiness or frailness you'd expect and forgive for a man of his age."

But I must confess to being a little tetchy this evening about my ol' guvnor when people seek the warmth of reflected kudos after one meeting or when they are far too young to know him so I have to say; How can you possibly make a value judgement in respect of Suzuki Hanshi and claim to actually know what technically sound wado ryu is given your age, grade and experience.? and as for your forgiveness..!!

oneya
Last edited by oneya on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

Wado heretic wrote: Although no longer in his prime when I saw him, when he demonstrated techniques they remained technically sound, no sloppiness or frailness you'd expect and forgive for a man of his age. I just wish I'd got to see him in his prime as a technician before age began catching up, must have been incredible to see.
Hi WH,

Isn't it just worth the practice and worth the wait to see what happens when you start to (really) age? I mean, with physical power you can compensate parts of the real stuff. What if your 'power' can not compensate you inability orf doing real karate anymore?

I guess the answer will come in time?

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

I have read Suzuki Sensei’s book a few times, it is a fascinating but modest and gentlemanly account of his life, certainly there is none of the braggadocio which Acer would want us to believe.

To get back to the original question:

I first met Suzuki Sensei circa 1975 and travelled all over the UK to attend his courses, including the bi-annual week long training courses either at the Sobell centre in the winter or various seaside resorts in the summer. When I moved to the south east I would train with Suzuki Sensei at the headquarters in Fulham or in Islington, so from that time I saw him almost on a weekly basis. I last trained with him in 1989; I think it was in Slough.

He would tell us stories of the old days and would demonstrate some of the techniques which were employed in the no-holds-barred ‘exchange sessions’ with the other styles. But always it was about training, training, training. While the big courses were great rallying points, I preferred the times when numbers were less and we were pretty much victims of whatever Suzuki Sensei was working on at the time. In those classes there were some interesting ideas bandied about and there would also be chances to explore aspects of training with a little more examination and pulling the technical aspects apart.

I know that Oneya and others on this forum have more stories to tell than I do but I hope that helps.

Tim
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

Oneya; you may have misunderstood my point but I'll concede to wording it in a way that may not have been succinct. I meant that despite his age Suzuki Hanshi still had strong technique that looked crisp and sharp. If you saw another man of a similar age doing karate; you'd forgive him if his technique wasn't what it used to be. All I know is that he was one of the most incredible martial artists I ever met and the fact he could still do Karate at that age remains an inspiration. If that leaves you tetchy, my apologies, but I can't change that. Anyway not going to get into a debate in this particular discussion so will leave that at that.

WadoAJ; really can't answer that until I age past my prime I guess so yes the answer will come in time.
R. Keith Williams