Hiromasa Setamatsu

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
acer

Re: Hiromasa Setamatsu

Post by acer »

think that the more 'self defence' you learn and 'drills' you train in can be very restrictive in your mind and can therefore restrict your self defence. Thats why principles are are far more important as they are totally unrestrictive and a natural way to learn how to defend yourself. I've always thought that most self defence can be whittled down to just a handful of good effective moves and the rest is just variations on a theme. A lot of people make good money often teaching crap IMO
If someone for example had never seen how a double leg takedown close the distance in a way that not be counter easily (especially if is the first time you confront that) and how the body mechanics work,then I think it will be a little hard to apply the principles there.
If you don’t believe it please find any black belt in BJJ take another black belt in Wado that trains only against straight punches and never seen how this guys train and fight and see what happen...How easily can apply the principles or not.
I still believe that if you take the principles of Wado and train against other type of attacks and not only straight punches and that’s its it will be only for the better...
oneya

Post by oneya »

I think you may still have a fair way to go in understanding wado ryu Acer. D'you think the double leg take down is a modern technique in a country the gave us Jujutsu, Judo, Aikido, Sumo and wado ryu??. Futanren Acer futanren.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

acer wrote: If you don’t believe it please find any black belt in BJJ take another black belt in Wado that trains only against straight punches ...
Wow, I’ve never seen one of those,… do such creatures exist?

Furthermore, I am wondering which part of the world you are from, because I am trying to imagine a place where you have to develop your self defence skills against roving bands of BJJ fighters fuelled on testosterone and out for blood. I’m guessing it’s not Bogota, Guatemala City or Cuidad Juarez or we’d be having conversations about dodging bullets.

Bottom line; each system has something different, something which in the wrong situation may take you by surprise, but so what! Approach your encounter with it with rational curiosity not petulance, anger and negativity.

Personally I don’t buy into the myth that we should all come out the end of the syllabus machine as perfect indestructible fighter, human beings are human beings, they come in all shapes, sizes, mentalities and capacities, but our aspirations as serious martial artists should not solely be about how to come out tops in a roll in the gutter, it should be about how to bring out our nobler human qualities, and the first step on doing that is to know yourself, and the finest crucible for such an undertaking is the Dojo.

Tim
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

This thread has diverged from Hiromasa Setamtasu a long time ago.

The whole why I do karate, self defence, I am budo, issue constantly appears as a branch or a thorn in any thread.

Best we start a new thread. I will create a new one called "Wado, budo, self-defence.... What's it all about?"