Hiromasa Setamatsu

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Aslan

Re: Hiromasa Setamatsu

Post by Aslan »

Acer,))
The only thing left for me to say is that. What you say to people practicing Aikido? They also do not study the protection against low kick. They also like in Wado learn how to fight using the principles.
Aslan Datiev
acer

Post by acer »

Although I really like aikido very much (the jj roots I guess) well its common knowledge that is not the best choice for self defense if you know what I mean and I stop here...
Aslan

Post by Aslan »

acer wrote:Although I really like aikido very much (the jj roots I guess) well its common knowledge that is not the best choice for self defense if you know what I mean and I stop here...
Oh! You and I have very different examples of aikido and wadoryu in our kumite practiсe.
If you mean self-defense, you can quickly learn, aikido and karate and other martial arts are not for your. Your need boxing or muai thai.
Aslan Datiev
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Low kicks.....

For the record...if you speak to a lot of the old farts (really old farts) from other styles who fought the Wado guys in the 40's and 50's, they complain that the Wado guys were hard to deal with because they kept kicking people in the shins...

Sunegeri. Very important Wado technique that sort of got lost in the era of modern competition because it is illegal.

One of Otsuka Sensei's favorite combination was sunegeri to the shins followed by a barate to the eye/nose....
(barate - smacking the person with the back of the hand...knuckles colliding with the bridge of the nose while the fingernails tear your cornea.)
Bob Nash
shep

Post by shep »

One thing you should be learning is that Wado's defensive moves are very fast and 'natural', probably more so than you realise or appreciate right now. Keep training! Lets not forget its not just about fighting but also how do your best to avoid physical conflict in the first place.

shep
oneya

Post by oneya »

Gusei21 wrote:Low kicks.....

One of Otsuka Sensei's favorite combination was sunegeri to the shins followed by a barate to the eye/nose....
(barate - smacking the person with the back of the hand...knuckles colliding with the bridge of the nose while the fingernails tear your cornea.)

Always a staple in the Suzuki wado diet too, right from day one.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
acer

Post by acer »

If you mean self-defense, you can quickly learn, aikido and karate and other martial arts are not for your. Your need boxing or muai thai.
No I don’t agree with that.I really like Wado why not apply in self defense just like the other styles?
For the record...if you speak to a lot of the old farts (really old farts) from other styles who fought the Wado guys in the 40's and 50's, they complain that the Wado guys were hard to deal with because they kept kicking people in the shins...
Sounds good!
Sunegeri. Very important Wado technique that sort of got lost in the era of modern competition because it is illegal.
Damn sport karate!!!

Well that’s my kind of martial art!Alleluia!!Why oh why this isn’t in official syllabus as drill or Ren Raku Waza?
Lets not forget its not just about fighting but also how do your best to avoid physical conflict in the first place.

Yes you are right but what happen if you can’t avoid it?If you don’t have any other choice and must somehow confront your opponent?
Then if you don’t train practical you don’t have a change...
oneya

Post by oneya »

acer wrote: No I don’t agree with that.I really like Wado why not apply in self defense just like the other styles?
Sounds good!
Sunegeri. Very important Wado technique that sort of got lost in the era of modern competition because it is illegal. One of Otsuka Sensei's favorite combination was sunegeri to the shins followed by a barate to the eye/nose.... (barate - smacking the person with the back of the hand...knuckles colliding with the bridge of the nose while the fingernails tear your cornea.)

Well that’s my kind of martial art!Alleluia!!Why oh why this isn’t in official syllabus as drill or Ren Raku Waza?
. Acer, it is in the syllabus... it is right there but you have to look for it in Kihon gumite and your kata training but it takes a while to understand wado, it's not all monkey see - monkey do stuff.

oneya
Last edited by oneya on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

Oneya, I think you have hit the nail right on the head. It’s all there for the finding, Acer I think you want it handed to you on a plate wrapped round with an official red ribbon, sealed with a wax seal with Hironori Ohtsuka’s personal seal on it.

I am convinced in my own mind that there is such a thing as shopfront Wado, the stuff that you see in the front window, which generally tends to be the stuff that every other shop seems to have, I say ‘seems’ because the uninitiated only sees what they want to see, but those with a little more time under their belt will know that there’s much more to it. And yes there is stuff kept at the back of the shop, there may even be stuff tucked under the counter, but wherever it is in the shop, front back or under it’s still all Wado, it all joins up. If you pull on the strings it all comes together as a whole working system. And what are those strings?.....Principles.

Tim
shep

Post by shep »

acer wrote:
No I don’t agree with that.I really like Wado why not apply in self defense just like the other styles?
Sounds good!
Damn sport karate!!!

Lets not forget its not just about fighting but also how do your best to avoid physical conflict in the first place.

Yes you are right but what happen if you can’t avoid it?If you don’t have any other choice and must somehow confront your opponent?
Then if you don’t train practical you don’t have a change...

Hi acer

I think that the more 'self defence' you learn and 'drills' you train in can be very restrictive in your mind and can therefore restrict your self defence. Thats why principles are are far more important as they are totally unrestrictive and a natural way to learn how to defend yourself. I've always thought that most self defence can be whittled down to just a handful of good effective moves and the rest is just variations on a theme. A lot of people make good money often teaching crap IMO

shep