Kata

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
karateman7

Kata

Post by karateman7 »

Is there really such a thing as running kata backwards? Ive been told it's a way to fully gauge whether you know a kata.
There is also running kata, starting on the right side. I can understand the importance of this. A practitioner shouldn't favor one side. But backwards seems to escape my grasp of understanding. Is this a common practice or just a myth that may have snuck in?

**Edited to reflect a proper grasp of the English language. Sorry for my clumsy thumbs on a tiny phone. **
Last edited by karateman7 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergio Phillipe
shep

Re: Kata

Post by shep »

Hi kman7

I have done kata in reverse i.e starting pinan kata to the right first and going from there, but never starting at the end and going backwards. But its not a regular thing with us

shep
Normanski

Post by Normanski »

we've done this. it was explained as taking you out of your comfort zone and to simulate stress and your reaction to it. we didn't do much of it and i strongly recommend not doing it close to gradings...
Damon Little.
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

karateman7 wrote:Is there really such a thi g as runnjng kata backward? Ive been it's a way to fully gauge whether you know a kata.
There id also running kata, starting on the right side. I canjnderstand the importance of this. A practictioner shouldn't favor one side. But backwards seems to escape my grasp of understanding. Is this a common practice or just a myth that may have snuck in.
I have come across this before, but in a very roundabout way.

Years ago there was an article published in UK magazine Traditional Karate, it may have been by the late Shotokan practitioner Steve Cattle. In the article he mentioned that he’d heard from Shotokan master Kase that some of the old Okinawan kata were deliberately constructed backwards to hide their true meaning. At that time I had an interest in the Okinawan forms of the kata, but all the same tried an experiment; I ran Pinan Sandan in reverse, it was just out of curiosity and I suppose supplied a different perspective.

I am now wondering if it is entirely wise of me to resurrect this piece of long lost folklore as it may grow legs and who knows where it might run to. Imagine all those Bunkai types getting hold of the concept and threading it into their own teachings like it’s manna from heaven…..’secrets of the old masters revealed!’

Tim
oneya

Post by oneya »

Well if you're going to start it might be as well to start with Naihanchi.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
karateman7

Post by karateman7 »

**Original post edited to reflect a proper grasp of the English language. Sorry for my clumsy thumbs on a tiny phone. **
Sergio Phillipe
andyb28

Post by andyb28 »

oneya wrote:Well if you're going to start it might be as well to start with Naihanchi.

oneya
Ooh, that would make it start with a strike, kinda goes against the principles of kata :p
Andy Booth
Colchester Traditional Karate Club
kyudo

Post by kyudo »

andyb28 wrote:Ooh, that would make it start with a strike
That would actually be a pull, in a reversed kata.
Which makes me wonder how you do a reversed kick...
And do you apply reversed take downs (pick-ups) in the kaisetsu?

:-)
Igor Asselbergs
http://kyudokan.nl/
oneya

Post by oneya »

andyb28 wrote:
oneya wrote:Well if you're going to start it might be as well to start with Naihanchi.

oneya
Ooh, that would make it start with a strike, kinda goes against the principles of kata :p
Hi Andy,

It is 1 AM here and you're gonna have to explain that for me.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Andy, don't fall for the "karate ni sentenashi" myth.