Youtube stuff

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
oneya

Re: Youtube stuff

Post by oneya »

Not unreasonable wadoka no, but that application is already shown near the end of the kata and in other kata,whereas the original (as I know it at least) calls for the reversing of rotation, direction and energy which requires a different skill set.. Hence my question.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I wonder if it was just forgetfulness, being outside of the "9", maybe it was just a mistake.

Oneya, from your explanation it reminds me yet again of that principle where we say that we should be able change direction easily. Reserving the rotation calls for a lot of training and management of the body.
oneya

Post by oneya »

wadoka wrote:I wonder if it was just forgetfulness, being outside of the "9", maybe it was just a mistake.

Oneya, from your explanation it reminds me yet again of that principle where we say that we should be able change direction easily. Reserving the rotation calls for a lot of training and management of the body.
It could have started out life as a mistake I guess wadoka - and stranger things have happened at sea - but it must be a mistake that has grown legs to leap the organisation boundary as it has, so it is not going away anytime soon.??

It doesn't make the facility for passing the parcel any easier though. I'll stick with the way I know I think.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

shep

Post by shep »

Back in the dim and distant past I had a brief introduction to Nanbus' Sankukai Karate. It involved many spinning techniques, even in the Heian katas you would spin from one move to the next. This technique in Rohai as performed in the clip would be very much at home in Sankukai which teaches very different dynamics to Wado.

shep
zim

Post by zim »

wadoka wrote:I was watching a TV programme the other day and it discussed language. One point it picked up one was the more directness that north Americans use and expect whilst say the Brits might hint at some initially and work towards the actual point in a negotiated way. Yanks need it spelling out.
Indeed, wadoka. We also tend to jump the gun a bit :)

A good example could be the following two dishes consisting of pig. The British have "blood pudding" while we have a "pig in blanket". Not much imagination there, eh?

Thanks for the clarification wadoka and blackcat.

cheers,

zim
Chris Zimmerman
oneya

Post by oneya »

zim wrote:
wadoka wrote:I was watching a TV programme the other day and it discussed language. One point it picked up one was the more directness that north Americans use and expect whilst say the Brits might hint at some initially and work towards the actual point in a negotiated way. Yanks need it spelling out.
Indeed, wadoka. We also tend to jump the gun a bit :)

A good example could be the following two dishes consisting of pig. The British have "blood pudding" while we have a "pig in blanket". Not much imagination there, eh?

zim

Oh dear, have they politically corrected the dear ol' 'black pudding'.? It will never taste the bloody same now..

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

Gary

Post by Gary »

oneya wrote: Oh dear, have they politically corrected the dear ol' 'black pudding'.? It will never taste the bloody same now..

oneya
There's always white pudding.

As far as know they haven't corrected that yet.

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
T. Kimura

Post by T. Kimura »

There were some variations floating around in non-core kata in the 70s. There is an older Wadokai niseishi version where the turn at move 4 is reversed in direction. a shiko dachi is also inserted at move 5. Personally I like the directional change here (in rohai) as well as the jodan block at move six or so; I think the flow is better and makes the kata look less "choppy." We learned matsumora rohai for demo purposes (c.1974).
All Blessings, C. Tak Kimura
oneya

Post by oneya »

T. Kimura wrote:There were some variations floating around in non-core kata in the 70s. There is an older Wadokai niseishi version where the turn at move 4 is reversed in direction. a shiko dachi is also inserted at move 5. Personally I like the directional change here (in rohai) as well as the jodan block at move six or so; I think the flow is better and makes the kata look less "choppy." We learned matsumora rohai for demo purposes (c.1974).
But kata is not a matter of preference surely it is a matter of study and I cannot see this version as being too choppy.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_gfGHCa5AM

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

AshleyBarai

Post by AshleyBarai »

Hi all,

A question just popped into my head when reading these comments about rohai. There is a similar 'shaped' move occurring in rohai, bassai and wanshu. I do not know the terminology but the body tends to end in a junzuki notsukomi shape and the arms tend to be in chudan and jodan simultaneous technique. It strikes me that I am under valuing the importance of this turning up so many times. or is it just the forward leaning versions of positions such as the last two moves of Pinan godan?

I know the interpretations of the use of the arms differ and I can see (and have seen) applications in pairs works but is there more? My spider sense starts to tingle when I see something repeating so often.

Sorry, it is a little vague as a question. I am not really sure what exactly I am asking. I am just sure I am missing something important.

If anyone can shake this tree then I would appreciate it.

Steve