Pinan katas

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gusei21

Re: Pinan katas

Post by Gusei21 »

jacob wrote: What I don't undersatand is why do the same techinquiqe (Junzuki) differently, wheather in kata, up and down the dojo or pairwork????? Junzuki is Junzuki is Junzuki.
Yes, junzuki is junzukl....and so difficult because jun is involved...
It's like the kendo or the sword guy who keeps practicing the same basic cut.
If you know what you are doing then it is never quite right so you keep trying to pursue that elusive junzuki thingy.......If you don't know what you are doing then it is just boring old junzuki...as one of our esteemed idiots once said to me ' Takagi Sensei is still teaching junzuki?? Doesn't he ever teach anything else?..." Yeah...he would move on to other stuff if people could show him that they could actually do the damn thing....lol...
Bob Nash
oneya

Post by oneya »

Gusei21 wrote:Jacob,

I think You might be over thinking this and misunderstanding Oneya.
He was trying to teach you a different part of junzuki. Consider his instruction as advanced education and unfortunately in my experience the only ones who understand are the people who already know....so in the end we just end up preaching to the choir or it ends up going over other people's heads because this stuff usually gets worked out in the dojo. Even the wrist bent thing is relative and there is a time and a place for a bent wrist...as long as it is bent in the right direction for the right contact surface....
Unfortunately not in every dojo though Bob - which is why I still often groan and moan. In this case though I was just tasting the Trinidad sugar harvest.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
jacob

Post by jacob »

Gusei21 wrote:Jacob,

I think You might be over thinking this and misunderstanding Oneya.
He was trying to teach you a different part of junzuki. Consider his instruction as advanced education and unfortunately in my experience the only ones who understand are the people who already know....so in the end we just end up preaching to the choir or it ends up going over other people's heads because this stuff usually gets worked out in the dojo. Even the wrist bent thing is relative and there is a time and a place for a bent wrist...as long as it is bent in the right direction for the right contact surface....

Yes you are correct. His wrist is a bit too bent in the wrong direction. That usually happens when we hit air too much.
The Japanese kata team trains by hitting focus mitts because hitting focus mitts are better than hitting air and keeps the wrists honest.
In other words they do uchikomi drills against focus mitts in order to get the feel of hitting something if a heavy bag or a makiwara is not readily available.

As for viewing videos, Toru Arakawa said this once. He was a bit grumpy because people were finding 'fault' in his kata video and he came back with 'if you get a magnifying glass and try to look for dirt then of course you will find something. No one is perfect everytime...'

So like Clas and Oneya said, enjoy and learn from the video. It has something of value for most people. And yes, the kid is still making mistakes but he is making less mistakes than the typical Pinan stuff I see on the internet done by other people. So take what is useful. Depending upon your level you will hopefully be able to find something good. If you have advanced beyond what this kid has to offer then that is fine too and this video is not meant for you.

Yes you are correct I do over think and analyse things in Wado which leads to tunnel vision on my part. Thanks for both your replies. I'm not at a high/advanced level in Wado so it's really good that my questions get answered by experienced guy's like you and you "don't forget the beginners!!"
claas

Post by claas »

oneya wrote:
claas wrote:
jacob wrote:I'm in no position to judge, just my personal observations, looking at Pinan Nidan for example. The fist/wrist in Junzuki..

(...)

or am I missing something or not understading correctly ?
Perhaps the performer would not advice on having the fist that way. In almost any performance picking some detail for improvement is not a difficult thing to do for almost any observer with some kind of experience. I believe Gusei's point had more to do with what's good. Looking for what is good is also more fun.

Many times I punch that way also. When punching air one can analyse whatever. When punching some object not breaking the hand becomes a high priority.
Isn't it time we stop prattling on about this 'punching air' nonsense when junzuki is all about what is happening between the skin on the front fist and the heel on the rear foot Claas..?

oneya
Hi Oneya,

Yes, what happens in the whole body is what is essential. I get that and was talking from that very same perspective but I do not get what was nonsense about my posting. When you reply to some other point than that which was presented, one gets the feeling you did not understand what the point was. If that is the case, it is a little strange to call it nonsense.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
oneya

Post by oneya »

Ah don’t mind me Class, the term “Punching air’ is often used derisively or as a pejorative by the ignorant muscle heads of karate when making a doubtful argument for the superiority of their own method or general karate style. I was a little dismayed at the term appearing on this very creditable wado forum.

As for the nonsense part, If you are talking from “that very same perspective” Claas, which was/is ‘the practice of junzuki’or the study of junzuki in kata, there is nothing in there (for me) that suggests punching air. It is a phrase that can send mixed messages about a good mind space to the students practicing junzuki in their early years - so it makes no sense to me: ergo….

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
claas

Post by claas »

Hi,

Yes I understand what you mean. I simply meant punching the air when I said "punching the air". Not that it would be a good or a bad thing. So the usage was completely neutral.

When talking about superiority of pretty much any style, people more often than not fail big time. Same goes for mocking styles. Some people seem to think that they can place a style in between themselves and a possible opponent. Then of course the style has to be The Best.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland