Pinan katas

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gusei21

Pinan katas

Post by Gusei21 »

Bob Nash
majin29

Re: Pinan katas

Post by majin29 »

Thanks for posting these. I just learned Pinan Nidan last week and it's great to see these examples. I might have misinterpreted my instructor but it seems you have to do a Jodan Uke to moves to a Tettsui Uchi but in the video it looks more direct.
David Coscina
T. Kimura

Post by T. Kimura »

I find the Wadokai emblem imposed on the image a little distracting.
All Blessings, C. Tak Kimura
jacob

Post by jacob »

I'm in no position to judge, just my personal observations, looking at Pinan Nidan for example. The fist/wrist in Junzuki..

check out , starts at 2mins 5secs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBXsY57d ... re=related
, starts at 2mins 5secs

or am I missing something or not understading correctly ?
claas

Post by claas »

jacob wrote:I'm in no position to judge, just my personal observations, looking at Pinan Nidan for example. The fist/wrist in Junzuki..

(...)

Perhaps the performer would not advice on having the fist that way. In almost any performance picking some detail for improvement is not a difficult thing to do for almost any observer with some kind of experience. I believe Gusei's point had more to do with what's good. Looking for what is good is also more fun.

Many times I punch that way also. When punching air one can analyse whatever. When punching some object not breaking the hand becomes a high priority.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
oneya

Post by oneya »

jacob wrote:
I'm in no position to judge, just my personal observations, looking at Pinan Nidan for example. The fist/wrist in Junzuki..

check out , starts at 2mins 5secs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBXsY57d ... re=related
, starts at 2mins 5secs

Hi Jacob,

I think you are probably missing the point a little. Kata is about more than the wrist in its performance, it is about the relaying of fundamental information down through the generations so its form must be consistent if we are to retain its form. In Pinan kata the seiken is formed like it is shown for this purpose. However in wado there are other ways to shape the wrist for its various uses also. In the clip Shiomitsu sensei is demonstrating one of the other ways.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
jacob

Post by jacob »

Thanks for the replies, hummmm, guess I'll need to travel down the Wado road for few more years before i understand.
oneya

Post by oneya »

claas wrote:
jacob wrote:I'm in no position to judge, just my personal observations, looking at Pinan Nidan for example. The fist/wrist in Junzuki..

(...)

Perhaps the performer would not advice on having the fist that way. In almost any performance picking some detail for improvement is not a difficult thing to do for almost any observer with some kind of experience. I believe Gusei's point had more to do with what's good. Looking for what is good is also more fun.

Many times I punch that way also. When punching air one can analyse whatever. When punching some object not breaking the hand becomes a high priority.
Isn't it time we stop prattling on about this 'punching air' nonsense when junzuki is all about what is happening between the skin on the front fist and the heel on the rear foot Claas..?

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
jacob

Post by jacob »

claas wrote:

(...)

Also aren't the descriptives of "performer" and "performace" taking away what kata is all about, it then just become a dance and helps win competions!? What I don't undersatand is why do the same techinquiqe (Junzuki) differently, wheather in kata, up and down the dojo or pairwork????? Junzuki is Junzuki is Junzuki.
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Jacob,

I think You might be over thinking this and misunderstanding Oneya.
He was trying to teach you a different part of junzuki. Consider his instruction as advanced education and unfortunately in my experience the only ones who understand are the people who already know....so in the end we just end up preaching to the choir or it ends up going over other people's heads because this stuff usually gets worked out in the dojo. Even the wrist bent thing is relative and there is a time and a place for a bent wrist...as long as it is bent in the right direction for the right contact surface....

Yes you are correct. His wrist is a bit too bent in the wrong direction. That usually happens when we hit air too much.
The Japanese kata team trains by hitting focus mitts because hitting focus mitts are better than hitting air and keeps the wrists honest.
In other words they do uchikomi drills against focus mitts in order to get the feel of hitting something if a heavy bag or a makiwara is not readily available.

As for viewing videos, Toru Arakawa said this once. He was a bit grumpy because people were finding 'fault' in his kata video and he came back with 'if you get a magnifying glass and try to look for dirt then of course you will find something. No one is perfect everytime...'

So like Clas and Oneya said, enjoy and learn from the video. It has something of value for most people. And yes, the kid is still making mistakes but he is making less mistakes than the typical Pinan stuff I see on the internet done by other people. So take what is useful. Depending upon your level you will hopefully be able to find something good. If you have advanced beyond what this kid has to offer then that is fine too and this video is not meant for you.
Last edited by Gusei21 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Nash