First Wado class!

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
majin29

First Wado class!

Post by majin29 »

Woaw, that was quite the learning experience! Great group of people first off. Very welcoming, very down-to-earth (the Wing Chun place I did a brief stint at earlier this summer was nice but no one said "hi" to me my first class or introduced themselves until a few classes in- I felt really like a leper). Sensei Marsha Quan was VERY patient with me. You guys weren't kidding about the intrinsic differences between Goju and Wado. Even a Gedan Barai is different- I totally spazzed out on the Age Zuki though it was the foot work that messed me up mostly . What came a little faster was Pinan Nidan. It follows the same basic pattern of the kata I'm used to although some stances and combinations are very different.

All in all, a very enjoyable class. Warm up got the heart going and flexibility but didn't kill me. After 5 months of no training, I worked up a good sweat in class nonetheless. A few classmates asked if I was going to stick with it and I said definitely. Good vibe, great students and terrific sensei. :)
David Coscina
karateman7

Re: First Wado class!

Post by karateman7 »

I'm reading green with envy. I really miss class.

Glad you enjoyed it. That was my reaction coming from a harder (among other things) style before as well. I'm sure you're never going to want to leave wado now.

Enjoy.
Sergio Phillipe
majin29

Post by majin29 »

karateman7 wrote:I'm reading green with envy. I really miss class.

Glad you enjoyed it. That was my reaction coming from a harder (among other things) style before as well. I'm sure you're never going to want to leave wado now.

Enjoy.
Thanks!
David Coscina
majin29

Post by majin29 »

So the classes officially start this evening. So excited! The first one I took was a trial to see if I liked it. Learned a lot in that one class and have been practicing the footwork and body kinetics ever since to be able to acclimate better to the curriculum this Fall.

Watching Wado AJ's videos have also been quite helpful more from an educational standpoint and not practical (meaning I'm not deluded to think one can learn martial arts off of videos). That said, watching Suzuki sensei's Pinan Nidan video prior to my first class made going through that kata a lot easier than had I not studied it.

Gee, I have that euphoric feeling like a kid on x-mas eve.....
David Coscina
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

Thanks Majin,

I upload it for the people who can use it for some reason.

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
majin29

Post by majin29 »

WadoAJ wrote:Thanks Majin,

I upload it for the people who can use it for some reason.

AJ
I really appreciate all of the videos. They have been immeasurably helpful. I must re-iterate that transitioning from Goju to Wado isn't a small thing. Even foot placement is different. I felt like there was a bit of a disconnect in the rhythm and cadence in my execution of the waza. Truthfully I haven't practiced any karate since last May so it's not surprising that I'm finding it difficult. However, I like challenges and have been working on the elements that I found difficult slowed down to get a better sense of the flow.
Last edited by majin29 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Coscina
oneya

Post by oneya »

majin29 wrote:
I feel like a bit of a spaz to be quite honest

This has to be one of the most unthinking and offensive throw away comments of our present times.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Majin29, I would appreciate it if you edited your comments accordingly.

This is a forum for intelligent discussions. Such terms should be left in the 70s and 80s.
majin29

Post by majin29 »

oneya wrote:
majin29 wrote:
I feel like a bit of a spaz to be quite honest

This has to be one of the most unthinking and offensive throw away comments of our present times.

oneya
I have edited my post. But I must ask why a remark I made about my own abilities offends you or others. I wasn't slighting Wado in the least. I think it's marvellous and pretty much addresses everything I'm looking for in a martial art, karate in particular. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear.
David Coscina
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

You need to do some searches on the word.

Paralympics are just around the corner and the majority of athletes will have more guts, determination and ability than many of us will ever have...