Defence against throat choke from front

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
oneya

Re: Defence against throat choke from front

Post by oneya »

majin29 wrote:She did do a self defense class years back but no she doesn't practice martial arts. It was more a conversation based on classes I took that she observed. I think the biggest disservice of any club is to promote themselves as teaching viable self defense in one or two sessions. That's total baloney IMO.
Yes you are right, there is no magic potion or formula for self defence and the first few years of building something viable is spent in gaining control over one's self in any genuine dojo. Reading about self defence or talking about self defence or even watching self defence antics on youtube is of little use without training. Self defence depends largely on the inner person and the ability to function clearly under duress. The reality is this ability can only be acquired through sufficient practice and preparation in the dojo. This reality is also a moving target.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
majin29

Post by majin29 »

oneya wrote:
majin29 wrote:She did do a self defense class years back but no she doesn't practice martial arts. It was more a conversation based on classes I took that she observed. I think the biggest disservice of any club is to promote themselves as teaching viable self defense in one or two sessions. That's total baloney IMO.
Yes you are right, there is no magic potion or formula for self defence and the first few years of building something viable is spent in gaining control over one's self in any genuine dojo. Reading about self defence or talking about self defence or even watching self defence antics on youtube is of little use without training. Self defence depends largely on the inner person and the ability to function clearly under duress. The reality is this ability can only be acquired through sufficient practice and preparation in the dojo. This reality is also a moving target.

oneya
This is my biggest problem with most martial arts as they relate to self defence. Most moves are predicated on a static attacker- or else the attacker ceases to move after the initial defence technique. That's ridiculous. There is this mass delusion that people fold like a deck of cards when they get hit once. That's nonsense. for what it's worth, Wado looks much more grounded in developing technique around a moving opponent, or else doing a couple of really nasty things that would shut down 90% of people (10% might have better pain thresholds.....).

anyhow, enough talk! First Wado class is tomorrow!!! Osu! (er, do you guys use that term in Wado BTW?)
David Coscina
karateman7

Post by karateman7 »

majin29 wrote:
oneya wrote:

oneya
This is my biggest problem with most martial arts as they relate to self defence. Most moves are predicated on a static attacker- or else the attacker ceases to move after the initial defence technique. That's ridiculous. There is this mass delusion that people fold like a deck of cards when they get hit once. That's nonsense. for what it's worth, Wado looks much more grounded in developing technique around a moving opponent, or else doing a couple of really nasty things that would shut down 90% of people (10% might have better pain thresholds.....).

anyhow, enough talk! First Wado class is tomorrow!!! Osu! (er, do you guys use that term in Wado BTW?)
If there was a tumbleweed emotican, I think everyone would use it.
Sergio Phillipe
majin29

Post by majin29 »

Sorry karateman, I'm a little dense at this hour...not sure what you meant by this.
David Coscina
oneya

Post by oneya »

Wado is Japanese in principle not Okinawan, hence it is developed in attack mode not defence. It is also built around the principles inherent in movement - to develop what in known as wado movement.

Osu is frowned upon in Wado ryu, Wado Kai and Wado kokusai.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
majin29

Post by majin29 »

oneya wrote:.
Wado is Japanese in principle not Okinawan, hence it is developed in attack mode not defence. It is also built around the principles inherent in movement - to develop what in known as wado movement.

Osu is frowned upon in Wado ryu, Wado Kai and Wado kokusai.

oneya
Thanks! I won't be uttering this tonight. :)

I have a lot to learn!
David Coscina
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

Hi Majin,

Oneya has already explained the difference of karate ni sente nashi and sente (roughly defence or attack mode as a basic principle).
You mention some about a static opponent. Of course there is and should be a difference between kihon and jiyu gumite or a streetfight if you like. Kata is a method to teach how to fight. A method. It is not an actual fight. Remember in school you had to write the letter A so many times. Then you leard A in a manner that allowed linking it to another letter. This is also a method.

Think about this, around 5th grade children are allowed to develop their own handwriting. Some people still have (very) bad handwriting. I mean they can write, but don't ask how... Then there is the study of Calligraphy. I think I don't need to eleborate any further.. Hope you see my point.

A static opponent is just a matter of a learned aid. You could say hey the makiwara does not move, but an opponent does... It just depends on the objective of the method.

AJ
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
majin29

Post by majin29 »

WadoAJ wrote:Hi Majin,

Oneya has already explained the difference of karate ni sente nashi and sente (roughly defence or attack mode as a basic principle).
You mention some about a static opponent. Of course there is and should be a difference between kihon and jiyu gumite or a streetfight if you like. Kata is a method to teach how to fight. A method. It is not an actual fight. Remember in school you had to write the letter A so many times. Then you leard A in a manner that allowed linking it to another letter. This is also a method.

Think about this, around 5th grade children are allowed to develop their own handwriting. Some people still have (very) bad handwriting. I mean they can write, but don't ask how... Then there is the study of Calligraphy. I think I don't need to eleborate any further.. Hope you see my point.

A static opponent is just a matter of a learned aid. You could say hey the makiwara does not move, but an opponent does... It just depends on the objective of the method.

AJ
Thanks AJ, I hope I didn't come off sounding as though I don't believe in the merit of kata or Bunkai (vernacular from my background). I think it's essential to karate.

Personally I've never been in a fight and avoid such situations so I don't learn karate because I'm fearful of getting attacked. I like it because of the structure, the techniques, and becoming more disciplined. To me, it's like studying music (I'm a composer BTW). It's a never-ending journey towards excellence though I hope never to reach the summit. It's the journey I enjoy.
David Coscina
karateman7

Post by karateman7 »

majin29 wrote:
Sorry karateman, I'm a little dense at this hour...not sure what you meant by this.
Oneya summed it up nicely.

If you were a wadoka and asking that question I'm sure the response would be different. But seeing as you're coming into it, you got a nice explanation.
Sergio Phillipe
claas

Post by claas »

To answer the initial topic, nothing works all the time and pretty much everything might work, especially as only a part of the solution. These situations are very much alive. I am not a fan of definite mocking of techniques or training methods. Training "statically" can be good or bad, very much depending on the message and the context of the teaching.

Also, I would like to point out that the attack is very famous. People really attack that way often and it is even understandable. Especially attacking with one hand (mostly the left) opens up the possibility to punch the face of a controlled opponent with the other hand. Most people really can't punch moving objects, so this kind of action is completely natural.

If someone attacks like that, it is probable that they look for a situation where they can unbalance the opponent by pushing from the throat. If they find it you have lost the first round and then perfect taisabaki can be difficult to accomplish. Especially if pushed against the wall, which many times is the case in these attacks.

One thing you can do, in many social circumstances, is to listen what the attacker has to say. Then again, many times that is not wise. If your friend gets angry, you might want to leave it there and become friends again in a few seconds. The point is that the social circumstances play a huge role in these situations.

When all the tricks have failed, you still have the chance to fight. Perhaps understanding this is the most important lesson.
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland