Another demo

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
steveig

Re: Another demo

Post by steveig »

blackcat wrote:
shep wrote:
steveig wrote: I remember Enoeda sensei doing an advert on tv(for crisps I think).
Steve.
Hi Steve

this was mentioned on the old AK forum. I remember the advert quite well, mid 70's I think and I believe it was cheesy balls he was advertising

shep
Enoeda sensei had his dojo right in the middle of London just off Carnaby St I think it was, really prime tourist location. You had to walk up several flights of stairs which I think was the regarded as the warm up routine. Nice dojo though and it must have been worth a fortune. You could often see posters of him on the nearby underground stations doing his trade mark mawashi geri so I guess his face was well known to those who travelled through London regularly.

There's a book called 'Know Karatedo', its a bit of a curiousity as it featured Mr Enoeda and Mr Suzuki paired together showing basic blocking techniques. Plenty of copies to be found on ebay if anyone is interested it.

Ben
It reminds me of the old BKCC championships in Manchester. Suzuki sensei would perform his Ryu Sei kata and Enoeda sensei would do his ceremonial kata, if you weren't hooked on karate before this, you certainly were when you left.

Steve.
Steve Greenwood.
www.chezvalade.com
Craven

Post by Craven »

yes i have way to much time on my hands! enjoy

steveig

Post by steveig »

Craven wrote:yes i have way to much time on my hands! enjoy

Thats the one Craven, got to get me some of them.

Steve.
Steve Greenwood.
www.chezvalade.com
WadoAJ

Post by WadoAJ »

haha awesome
AJ van Dijk

President & Chief Instructor Wadokai Holland
General Secretary FEW Federation European Wadokai
http://www.WadokaiOnline.com - Wado Books // Wado DVDs
http://www.wadokai.nl
http://www.fewkarate.com
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

As I have a bit of time on my hands AND we’re talking about demonstrations AND the late Suzuki Sensei, I wonder if any of you UK based guys remember the demonstration event in Luton in 1983 where a combined Japanese University team came over to compete against a combined UKKW and KUGB team?

The other day I was looking through a dodgy copy of a VHS tape I have of the event. In the middle of the event the lights dimmed and Enoeda Sensei came on and did his demonstration kata and Suzuki Sensei did two demonstrations; the first against Sugasawa Sensei was of Ohyo Gumite, the second against Shiomitsu Sensei was of Kihon Gumite.

It was an excellent event and good to see the likes of Frank Brennan and Geoff Thompson fighting on the same team. I drove up to Luton for the day, it was a wonderful showcase event.

Tim
shep

Post by shep »

Craven wrote:yes i have way to much time on my hands! enjoy

Oh well I remembered they were balls, I thought they were cheesy not bacon and mushromm flavour. I guess only the advert was cheesy!

Hi Tim

I bet that was a a good day all round

shep
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Tim49 wrote:As I have a bit of time on my hands AND we’re talking about demonstrations AND the late Suzuki Sensei, I wonder if any of you UK based guys remember the demonstration event in Luton in 1983 where a combined Japanese University team came over to compete against a combined UKKW and KUGB team?

The other day I was looking through a dodgy copy of a VHS tape I have of the event. In the middle of the event the lights dimmed and Enoeda Sensei came on and did his demonstration kata and Suzuki Sensei did two demonstrations; the first against Sugasawa Sensei was of Ohyo Gumite, the second against Shiomitsu Sensei was of Kihon Gumite.

It was an excellent event and good to see the likes of Frank Brennan and Geoff Thompson fighting on the same team. I drove up to Luton for the day, it was a wonderful showcase event.

Tim
Tim,

Who won?

Ben
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

blackcat wrote:
Tim49 wrote:As I have a bit of time on my hands AND we’re talking about demonstrations AND the late Suzuki Sensei, I wonder if any of you UK based guys remember the demonstration event in Luton in 1983 where a combined Japanese University team came over to compete against a combined UKKW and KUGB team?

Tim
Tim,

Who won?

Ben
Ah just realised, it was 1984 not 1983.

I think the Japanese team was a scratch team from across various universities, not the team that was origianlly intended. Tanabe Sensei was there I remember, trained under him a few times.

From the UKKW we had:
J. Thompson
C. London-Hughes
B. Martin
C. Wattley
A. Meek
W. Vincent
J. Wicks
G. Morgan

From KUGB:
F. Brennan
G. Best
R. Williams
R. Christopher
I. Roberts
G. Hartford
A couple of others I can't remember.

I think Clive Wright and Nick Quilliam demonstrated kata.

If memory serves me I think it was an England win.

Tim
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

The UKKF/W hosted a couple of matches against Japanese teams in the 1970's - I think it was 1973 Birmingham (Oneya was officiating according to the programme) and again in London in 1976. The 73 team for Britain looks like it was all UKKW members but the 76 one may have been a mixed team with KGB.

Maybe it was the Luton competition where Murase fought Geoff Thompson?

Ben
jacob

Post by jacob »

blackcat wrote:The UKKF/W hosted a couple of matches against Japanese teams in the 1970's - I think it was 1973 Birmingham (Oneya was officiating according to the programme) and again in London in 1976. The 73 team for Britain looks like it was all UKKW members but the 76 one may have been a mixed team with KGB.

Maybe it was the Luton competition where Murase fought Geoff Thompson?

Ben
Hi Ben

does that programme relating to the 1973 Birmingham match name the UK team members?