Idori

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gary

Re: Idori

Post by Gary »

wadoka wrote:Even Jiro Ohtsuka wears knee pads.

Come on Bob, do it properly :-)
Gordon, you would be always welcome to come train with us if you feel you need to understand how to do it properly (sarcasm aside) ;)

Gary

[edit] and Bob for that matter.
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
oneya

Post by oneya »

Gary wrote:

If you learn how to do it properly, you don't need knee pads.

Gary
Occidental knees are accidental knees in the making.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Damn, there goes my excuse. Although I may call upon my Scottish heritage.
acer

Post by acer »

Out of curiosity, where are you drawing the line when you say these things are not for regular training?
idori, tanto tori, sword defense?
And out of curiosity does anyone here know how often the WIKF practices these in a typical dojo or at a seminar?
Every week together with kihon kata kumite...
TSYR

Post by TSYR »

Gary wrote: You're probably not doing it right then. Or at least your seiza isn't centered correctly.
A Brit telling a Japanese they don't know how to walk in shikko or sit in seiza.

ROFLOL..... You guys are pretty funny sometimes.

TSYR
Tobin E Threadgill
Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin Kai
http://www.shinyokai.com
oneya

Post by oneya »

TSYR wrote:
Gary wrote: You're probably not doing it right then. Or at least your seiza isn't centered correctly.
A Brit telling a Japanese they don't know how to walk in shikko or sit in seiza.

ROFLOL..... You guys are pretty funny sometimes.

TSYR
Yep, don't look now but I think the Empire melted long ago...!

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

Before the thread goes off topic...

It may well be that people outside of Japan also have something to contibute. Are the rockabillies in Yoyogi park as conversant in shikko as the rest?

Anyway, let's get back on the role and function of idori please.
blackcat

Post by blackcat »

[quote="wadoka"]Shumokudori footage

Hakoishi sensei calls this technique 'kubi jime' and on his video he shows it as a variation of shumokudori and gives it the full title of "ura nage kubi jime". Looking at the list of techniques from SYR (Tatsuo Matsuoka) and Tenjinshinyoryu (Kubota) that name itself does not appear within either of their shoden idori or chuden idori so I don't have any information on how he decided on the name.

Ben
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

Gary wrote:

Gordon, you would be always welcome to come train with us if you feel you need to understand how to do it properly (sarcasm aside) ;)

Gary

[edit] and Bob for that matter.
Gary,

If I came to your dojo your instructor would not be very happy with you...lol...
So let's definitely do it next time I am there.

Ok Gordon...back to idori... :)
Bob Nash
TSYR

Post by TSYR »

blackcat wrote:
wadoka wrote:Shumokudori footage

Hakoishi sensei calls this technique 'kubi jime' and on his video he shows it as a variation of shumokudori and gives it the full title of "ura nage kubi jime". Looking at the list of techniques from SYR (Tatsuo Matsuoka) and Tenjinshinyoryu (Kubota) that name itself does not appear within either of their shoden idori or chuden idori so I don't have any information on how he decided on the name.

Ben
Hi Blackcat,

It's confusing isn't it?

Frequently the ura version of a particular kata will develop its own unique nick name. Takamura sensei did this all the time which drove us batty on occasion. Other times a teacher will employ his own nickname for a kata or read the kanji using an alternate or arcane pronunciation. It is one of the issues that really causes problems for those who cannot read kanji and are forced to represent names only in in romaji. Kanegidori/shumokudori is a good example. I'm fortunate to have inherited Takamura's extensive collection of densho including both a Tenjin Shinyo ryu and Yoshin ryu densho that includes furigana. When you look up this technique on one of the Tenjin Shinyo ryu densho in our collection the furigana says Shumokudori, but in an older Yoshin ryu densho the furigana says the kata is pronounced Kanegidori. To complicate things more for Shindo Yoshin ryu, the Akiyama Yoshin ryu (TSR) and Nakamura Yoshin Koryu (Totsuka Yoshin ryu) mixes different naming conventions. Sometimes the omote kata name describes the attack and the ura kata names the technique while in other cases this is reversed! (Seionage / Ushiro Dori & Ryote Dori / Tegaeshi). This is how over several generations different lines of the same martial art can develop a mokuroku that appears different but in execution is technically the same.

My guess is Hakoishi sensei is probably just describing what going on in an informal manner and not intending it to be a proper name.

Isn't Japanese fun?

TSYR
Tobin E Threadgill
Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin Kai
http://www.shinyokai.com