Training at Nihon Univ

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
blackcat

Training at Nihon Univ

Post by blackcat »

A couple of interesting films here from an Italian group visiting Japan:

http://www.asyamashita.com/campionati_d ... yo_09.html

You can see Kobayashi teaching at the start then on the second film, Otsuka Kazutaka.

Ben
wadoka
Site Admin

Re: Training at Nihon Univ

Post by wadoka »

A little bit of gamesmanship to soften up the visitors before the championships? :-)

Good to see Kazutaka Ohtsuka in amongst it.
karateman7

Post by karateman7 »

Pretty cool to see his son at 2:28. Could be the next in line decades later?
Sergio Phillipe
Aslan

Post by Aslan »

O-o-o! I've seen sensei Kobayashi. He is very nice man and his tsuki and geri are very fast.
Aslan Datiev
acer

Post by acer »

Kazutaka Ohtsuka and his son play around with sport karate...
Ok that’s really sad.......
You expect for them practicing Wado as martial art not as sport for kids...
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

acer wrote:Kazutaka Ohtsuka and his son play around with sport karate...
I'm interested....

Now you've got my attention please expand.
Why is this a bad thing?

Tim
acer

Post by acer »

Tim49 wrote:
I'm interested....

Why is this a bad thing?

Tim
Ok imagine Hironori Ohtsuka sensei in his dojo (famous for his hard JiYu Kumite that everybody there practice and every technique allowed,a Wado as martial art first of all)practicing karate like sport for kids aka sport karate yelling ''ousaaaaa''…''ashaaaa''…''yeahhh I score sanbon'' etc...
As I already said I prefer to see them practicing Wado as a martial art a not as sport for kids...
claas

Post by claas »

I'm also interested..
Lasse Candé
Helsinki, Finland
Tim49

Post by Tim49 »

acer wrote:
Tim49 wrote:
I'm interested....

Why is this a bad thing?

Tim
Ok imagine Hironori Ohtsuka sensei in his dojo (famous for his hard JiYu Kumite that everybody there practice and every technique allowed,a Wado as martial art first of all)practicing karate like sport for kids aka sport karate yelling ''ousaaaaa''…''ashaaaa''…''yeahhh I score sanbon'' etc...
As I already said I prefer to see them practicing Wado as a martial art a not as sport for kids...
Hi Acer,

Thank you for your clarification.
Based on what you’ve said there are a few things I would like to focus on.

Personally when I watched the clip I judged it within the context it was presented and saw nothing inappropriate or ‘sad’. In what I saw; in fact if anything I was heartened and delighted by a number of aspects, namely that within that situation K. Ohtsuka was willing to muck in, stand in the line along with everyone else and sweat. I also liked to see father and son working alongside each other. Also, the practice I recall was a high mawashigeri; personally I don’t see that as the sole domain of contest shiai. I tried to imagine myself in the same situation (a few years back I trained inside the sweatbox of Meiji University Dojo) I cannot imagine a situation where I would baulk at being asked to get in the line and work on attack and defence with 20 year old University students, I think that would perhaps be a tad churlish.

I think you have made a huge leap in imagination with your caricaturisation of ‘sports kids’ and matching this against your perception of what you thought Wado was like in the days of the late master Ohtsuka. Personally I can see many many benefits of Shiai, as long as the tail doesn’t wag the dog.

But, as with all things these views are subjective and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Tim
acer

Post by acer »

In what I saw; in fact if anything I was heartened and delighted by a number of aspects, namely that within that situation K. Ohtsuka was willing to muck in, stand in the line along with everyone else and sweat.
Doing what?Playing who is going to touch the other first?
I also liked to see father and son working alongside each other
They can do that too if they practice Wado as martial art and train hard against real life attacks and how to handle them for example and not with the way we see here...
I don’t know you expect for some people lets say of that caliber to see and practice Wado not as everybody else in the world (WKF sport ) but as something else. And if you see them play around with points etc for me its really sad...
I think you have made a huge leap in imagination with your caricaturisation of ‘sports kids’ and matching this against your perception of what you thought Wado was like in the days of the late master Ohtsuka
Its not my perception, if you speak with Suzuki Sensei for example you will find out how the train was back then...