hakama ? now with the video...

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
Gusei21
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:43 am

Re: hakama ? now with the video...

Post by Gusei21 »

oneya wrote:Hi G,

There is also the concept of 'personal space' which may make a student flinch or 'shut down' while being physically adjusted also. A while ago now I had a male student leave the dojo because he was 'physically adjusted' by a 3rd dan senior = much like Ohtsuka was doing in this video - which made him think the sandan was entertaining some homosexual agenda. No manner of explanation from me could dissuade him otherwise and he left in high dudgeon never to return. Wado ryu is not easy in many respects.

oneya
Not taking the bait...walking away...
Bob Nash
Gusei21
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:43 am

Re: hakama ? now with the video...

Post by Gusei21 »

oneya wrote:
Give that guy a clip around the ear for repeating the same thing after he has been corrected.
Even with Toyama sensei resident in Italy and Ohtsuka meijin touring in Italy he still cannot hear why, or see why, or feel why he continues to be unreachable, so why is that.?

oneya
For what I have observed outside of Japan that seems to be a common mistake in Wadoland.
Many people over rotate when they do gyakuzuki.
The torso should end up in mami but most people seem to want to twist even more so they over rotate the shoulder.
Not sure why. There is a fundamental misunderstanding of the word 'twist your hips' I think.
For starters just finish square. At some point in the forward transition you go into hanmi then you finish in mami as you cut your hips while you keep your shoulders in line with your hips.
Anything else is plain wrong.
But guess if that is what your body is used to then it is hard to fix it on the spot even if the man manipulating you is the Master himself...the more you get nervous the more you revert.
Bob Nash
oneya
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Mornington Victoria Australia

Re: hakama ? now with the video...

Post by oneya »

Gusei21 wrote:
oneya wrote:Hi G,

There is also the concept of 'personal space' which may make a student flinch or 'shut down' while being physically adjusted also. A while ago now I had a male student leave the dojo because he was 'physically adjusted' by a 3rd dan senior = much like Ohtsuka was doing in this video - which made him think the sandan was entertaining some homosexual agenda. No manner of explanation from me could dissuade him otherwise and he left in high dudgeon never to return. Wado ryu is not easy in many respects.

oneya
Not taking the bait...walking away...
Not really bait Bob, just raising the possibility of prior experience, fears or different national traits clogging simple transmission for humans when dealing with cross cultural differences.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Gusei21
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:43 am

Re: hakama ? now with the video...

Post by Gusei21 »

oneya wrote:
Gusei21 wrote:
oneya wrote:Hi G,

There is also the concept of 'personal space' which may make a student flinch or 'shut down' while being physically adjusted also. A while ago now I had a male student leave the dojo because he was 'physically adjusted' by a 3rd dan senior = much like Ohtsuka was doing in this video - which made him think the sandan was entertaining some homosexual agenda. No manner of explanation from me could dissuade him otherwise and he left in high dudgeon never to return. Wado ryu is not easy in many respects.

oneya
Not taking the bait...walking away...
Not really bait Bob, just raising the possibility of prior experience, fears or different national traits clogging simple transmission for humans when dealing with cross cultural differences.

oneya
Oh, so that was what the middle finger scratching your palm thing was all about! Chalk it down to cross cultural differences... :)
Bob Nash
oneya
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Mornington Victoria Australia

Re: hakama ? now with the video...

Post by oneya »

Bit like seafaring Bob, It can be a lone experience or with a crew of 100 souls of mixed nationalities. On the one hand a man can be in tune with the elements, on the other he may be instinctively but unconsciously guarding against it.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
oneya
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Mornington Victoria Australia

Re: hakama ? now with the video...

Post by oneya »

Gusei21 wrote:
oneya wrote:
Give that guy a clip around the ear for repeating the same thing after he has been corrected.
Even with Toyama sensei resident in Italy and Ohtsuka meijin touring in Italy he still cannot hear why, or see why, or feel why he continues to be unreachable, so why is that.?

oneya
For what I have observed outside of Japan that seems to be a common mistake in Wadoland.
Many people over rotate when they do gyakuzuki.
The torso should end up in mami but most people seem to want to twist even more so they over rotate the shoulder.
Not sure why. There is a fundamental misunderstanding of the word 'twist your hips' I think.
For starters just finish square. At some point in the forward transition you go into hanmi then you finish in mami as you cut your hips while you keep your shoulders in line with your hips.
Anything else is plain wrong.
But guess if that is what your body is used to then it is hard to fix it on the spot even if the man manipulating you is the Master himself...the more you get nervous the more you revert.
Hi Bob,

There is an old front cover of a kyu grade book with Suzuki Tatsuo showing 'How to dowse a candle flame with junzuki'. At the angle the shot is taken it would be easy - but quite wrong - to assume this is how junzuki is practiced.. The kyu book has been around for something like forty years so may have influenced quite a few people on their over-rotation. Punching with the fist makes gyakuzuki even more varied. The hanmi/mami return emphasised now by Ohtsuka sensei was barely detectable in the early days of European "Do like this".

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
TSYR
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Evergreen, Colorado USA

Re: hakama ? now with the video...

Post by TSYR »

Hello,

Tucking up the hakama?

It's called momodachi or ryo momodachi. Most koryu practitioners do this before rigorous training. The samurai also wore waraji (straw sandals) with long laces that were wrapped around the calves and over the legs of the hakama to prevent tripping.

TSYR
Tobin E Threadgill
Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin Kai
http://www.shinyokai.com
wadoka
Site Admin
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:38 am
Location: Bournemouth, Dorset, UK.
Contact:

Re: hakama ? now with the video...

Post by wadoka »

A couple of right tuckers here... (wont leave this here long)

You don't want to step on the hakama when doing this warm up of continually changing stance and cutting on the spot.
tuckers.jpg
tuckers.jpg (103.77 KiB) Viewed 6945 times
Gary
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:14 pm
Location: South London, UK
Contact:

Re: hakama ? now with the video...

Post by Gary »

wadoka wrote:A couple of right tuckers here... (wont leave this here long)

You don't want to step on the hakama when doing this warm up of continually changing stance and cutting on the spot.

Image
Hi Gordon,

I cant see any Image?
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
wadoka
Site Admin
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:38 am
Location: Bournemouth, Dorset, UK.
Contact:

Re: hakama ? now with the video...

Post by wadoka »

That website probably doesn't allow outside referrers. I will upload separately.
Post Reply