Youtube stuff

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
oneya

Re: Youtube stuff

Post by oneya »

An old tome on kanji tells me that the reason for three lines in this particular kanji is because the original Chinese picture/sketch showed a mountain range of three mountains of different heights. I like legends.

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
AshleyBarai

Post by AshleyBarai »

Again, sorry for the delay.

I understand that yamasuki is a term that shotokan adopt. Presuming it refers to the strikes/parries not the body, therefore it strikes me that the body movement is just a (bad spelling alert) notsokomi relation with the last two moves of godan being their reflection.

So, why then are they often preceded by a standing posture?

I think a couple of acorns may have dropped out of my tree.

Steve
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

I will assume that sequence wise that is what was passed on. I don't think Ohtsuka created any solo kata, don't mention kunpu! From a Wado perspective it gives us the opportunity for irimi and practising forward movement, entering, slipping, deflecting and striking all at the same time.
AshleyBarai

Post by AshleyBarai »

wadoka wrote: From a Wado perspective it gives us the opportunity for irimi and practising forward movement, entering, slipping, deflecting and striking all at the same time.
I would imagine that about sums it up. But, why so many times? It would be equally valid to move into that technique from many methods. Why is the standing start repeated. In at least two kata that presumably are not directly related in lineage.

Not that I really do know enough about the lineage of rohai and bassai to make that statement. Is it a valid comment?

Steve
wadoka
Site Admin

Post by wadoka »

We would need to delve into Okinawan history and all of its nuances and branches. Although I have an interest it is a lot to research. Best to spend our brain cells going forward.