Sakagami Sensei

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
blackcat

Re: Sakagami Sensei

Post by blackcat »

Gusei21 wrote: So the Euros on this board has something to strive for - to be the first!. Blackcat, Gary, perhaps someday you guys can be the first true JKF Wadokai 8th dan.
I doubt it, not for me anyway. Shimura sensei told me how much training he puts in each week, I wish I could do half that and have him as instructor each week (he's got Arakawa sensei looking over him). If anyone is going to get it, its him.

You mentioned a group of Europeans in your other post Bob, but what about the USA? You trained under Mr Ajari 8th Dan for a long time didn't you? Appreciate you're in separate groups now but there must be some potential high fliers over there between the different groups? Who should we be looking out for?

Ben
Gusei21

Post by Gusei21 »

blackcat wrote:
Gusei21 wrote: So the Euros on this board has something to strive for - to be the first!. Blackcat, Gary, perhaps someday you guys can be the first true JKF Wadokai 8th dan.
I doubt it, not for me anyway. Shimura sensei told me how much training he puts in each week, I wish I could do half that and have him as instructor each week (he's got Arakawa sensei looking over him). If anyone is going to get it, its him.

You mentioned a group of Europeans in your other post Bob, but what about the USA? You trained under Mr Ajari 8th Dan for a long time didn't you? Appreciate you're in separate groups now but there must be some potential high fliers over there between the different groups? Who should we be looking out for?

Ben
Ben,
You can't give up. You can do it. Just train intelligently. There is a method to the madness. It's a process. The dan is not the point. But in the process of going for it something greater is achieved. These other people just want the dan grade for the sake of having it. And that is pointless in my opinion.
But by striving for it - and in the end whether you get it or not - the attempt will take you to a higher place and if done properly should transform you as a karateka.

The USA? (I just censored the entire response.....and will try again.)
Ajari and I tolerated each other as long as we could. Now we have mutual contempt. We both think the other is insane and a pathetic disgrace to Wado and all of mankind...lol. I was formally brought up on charges in Tokyo a few months back. It was a trial and they refused to submit the accusations beforehand. JKF Wadokai had Tanaka representing the board of directors, and Matsui international director on one side of the table. Takagi representing the Technical committee, Maki representing the international board of the Technical committee, and Shimura as the Secretary General. And yours truly of course at the other end wondering what nonsense charges were going to be leveled against me as they were considering expelling me from the Wadokai. By the end of the trial the conclusion was that I was a fine fellow and they appreciate all that I am doing and that my accusers were found to be seriously misguided. They were mostly Japanese instructors residing overseas. I think there were 2 Brit residents on that list of accusers. We all went out drinking afterwards except for Tanaka who had to go home. Who says politics can't be fun?
Any of you ever been brought up on charges? Jolly good fun. I recommend it for all.

In my opinion and I will limit my response to just JKF Wadokai members - the best technicians are Donnie Danner, 6th dan, Desmond Bell, 5th dan, Debby Veneroso, David Sasaki. The first USA Wadokai technical 8th dan will come from one of them. I hope all of them get it. The others don't stand a chance because they will never have the mentoring necessary to pass a high dan grade from JKF Wadokai. But then if you ask the others they will say they don't care about those things. But the reason they say that is because they know they have no chance and they've rationalized it that way in their minds.
(No, I am not referring to Tim in any way. Tim knows what he is doing. I am talking about the 'higher ranked' Wadokai 4th 5th dans in the US.)
The Wado pioneers in the US had no clue what they were doing technically. They got by on their kumite ability so in the end they had nothing to pass down that managed to take root.
Sweden is not like that because Mr Ohgami was a technician and he created a lasting legacy (can you say that about someone who is still alive?) .
Switerland is not like that because between Humbel and Danubio they created a solid program.
The UK is the UK. It is all over the map. Suzuki Sensei is a great technician. Shiomitsu is a great technician. And some people went thru them and many left early and started their own thing. There are reallly good people there and then there are 'interesting' people there.
My opinion for what its worth.
Bob Nash
oneya

Post by oneya »

Tim49 wrote:
Maybe there should be an 8th Dan test to find out what kind of human being you are?

Just read that back to myself,…sounds like I’m on my soap box….not really, I’m just idly musing.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Kendo 8th Dan Documentary here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXMfPPWkMVY

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the video link, I found it inspirational - and your musing is akin to a lakeside where I can sit to reflect.

oneya

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Gary

Post by Gary »

Tim49 wrote: Maybe there should be an 8th Dan test to find out what kind of human being you are?

Just read that back to myself,…sounds like I’m on my soap box….not really, I’m just idly musing.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Kendo 8th Dan Documentary here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXMfPPWkMVY

Tim
Brings into mind one of my favorite quotes:

"I have asked myself that many times as I have struggled to be more human, until I realized it is the struggle itself that is more important. It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal. The effort yields its own rewards"

Gary
Gary Needham
Walton Wado Karate Club

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
http://seirenkanuk.wordpress.com/
shep

Post by shep »

Thanks for the Kendo link Tim, I hadn't seen that before, it was fascinating

shep