Training

General discussions on Wado Ryu karate and associated martial arts.
shep

Re: Training

Post by shep »

I feel like an amature. I train two sessions a week (and due to shift work I sometimes miss one of them) for 1.5 each session. Plus any courses I can get to go on during the year. I also practice at work most days during quiet spells. My collegues are very use to seeing me perform various techniques!!
oneya

Post by oneya »

Tim49 wrote:
Just lazy use of language and definitions on my part.

Tim
Ah, English based.!

oneya
Reg Kear.
Wado Kokusai San no Ya.

http://www.sannoya.com
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

I am using the time as I am to the extreme as I am sure I'll just regret it in the future if I didn't take this opportunity to see what my physical peak really can be.

A good observation Tim; at the moment I am getting the occasional private lesson with my grading Instructor so he can go over the finer details. During my practice I am also keeping repetitions of the same technique to a minimum, except for the one I go over for 20 minutes. I am hoping this will minimise the potential impact of bad technique occuring through repetition. The one I go through in detail I start with slowly and break down to it's individual componants and it's not until the last five minutes I go hell for leather with it. I am also using mirrors and making notes during my breaks in between the 20 minute blocks which I then make sure to revisit before the start of each training session. Not sure it'll truly limit bad habits happening but it's the best I have come up with so far, do you reckon it's enough or any tips you have that might help further?

That's an interesting approach Monkey mind; I might steal it. I already find myself going wide around corners though or practicing my balance on the bus by standing, that get's a weird look from the bus driver when I am the only person on the bus beside him/her. Were you professional Muay Thai fighter with a schedule like that or in a similar situation as I am as a student?

At the moment a trick I am trying is the with a wave master XXL. The standard model I can move with pure strength, so what I have done is weighed it down to a point where I have to be conciously using technique to even budge it. It's around 320 lbs or just over 22 stone at the moment and it won't even move unless I am performing by best Gyaku Tsuki.
R. Keith Williams
majin29

Post by majin29 »

I'm only doing one formal class per week but I'm stepping up to 2 shortly. I cannot get enough of Wado. I train about 20-40 minutes every day- sometimes more if I'm working on combinations and kata. I should do more cardio and weights but I still have body mechanics to work out in some of these waza. I'm getting better. I'm still really really new to all this.
David Coscina
monkey mind

Post by monkey mind »

Wado heretic wrote: That's an interesting approach Monkey mind; I might steal it. I already find myself going wide around corners though or practicing my balance on the bus by standing, that get's a weird look from the bus driver when I am the only person on the bus beside him/her. Were you professional Muay Thai fighter with a schedule like that or in a similar situation as I am as a student?
Neither, really. When I moved to Thailand I had some money saved up & wanted to see what it was like to really dive into my training. I trained nearly full-time for a while & I fought professionally but I'd hesitate to say I was a professional fighter. My ring experience was very limited and in any case it was never about training to fight, it was more about fighting as a boost to my training. In fact, most of my training wasn't in sport Muay Thai but in Muay Boran - old-style Thai boxing with few, if any, rules. Good stuff but over the long haul I much prefer wado.
Paul Cooper
JKI Wadokai Chiang Mai
mspain

Post by mspain »

monkey mind wrote:
Wado heretic wrote: That's an interesting approach Monkey mind; I might steal it. I already find myself going wide around corners though or practicing my balance on the bus by standing, that get's a weird look from the bus driver when I am the only person on the bus beside him/her. Were you professional Muay Thai fighter with a schedule like that or in a similar situation as I am as a student?
Neither, really. When I moved to Thailand I had some money saved up & wanted to see what it was like to really dive into my training. I trained nearly full-time for a while & I fought professionally but I'd hesitate to say I was a professional fighter. My ring experience was very limited and in any case it was never about training to fight, it was more about fighting as a boost to my training. In fact, most of my training wasn't in sport Muay Thai but in Muay Boran - old-style Thai boxing with few, if any, rules. Good stuff but over the long haul I much prefer wado.
Monkey mind,
Where are you in Thailand?

MSPain
Mike Spain
monkey mind

Post by monkey mind »

mspain wrote: Monkey mind,

MSPain
Down the street from the Chili Bell, right behind the ballet studio :)
Paul Cooper
JKI Wadokai Chiang Mai
mspain

Post by mspain »

monkey mind wrote:
mspain wrote: Monkey mind,

MSPain
Down the street from the Chili Bell, right behind the ballet studio :)
AHA !
Mike Spain
Wado heretic

Post by Wado heretic »

Can see why you would do so and I suppose you should when you have the chance. Rarely get opportunities like that twice in your life.
Apparently their exist Kata in some regional variations Muay Boran; would you know whether that is true?
R. Keith Williams
monkey mind

Post by monkey mind »

My only exposure was to Muay Chaiya & I never saw anything like kata there.
Paul Cooper
JKI Wadokai Chiang Mai